Latest Additions To The Site

Page 1 of 56 1000 Records Found

Warning about Sunday misbehaviour - from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

In the early 1800s, faith and church played a forceful role in governing the everyday life Stoke-on-Trent's people - although not everybody fell into line! Misbehaviour Parish officials known as ...

Quaker Chapel, Aquinas Street, Stoke-on-Trent

The Society of Friends (Quakers) occupied the former Congregational Chapel in Aquinas Street (previously Thomas Street) from the 1850s. This side of the chapel is the entrance to the Society of Friends ...

St Peter's School, Boothen Old Road, Stoke-on-Trent

St Peter's Secondary Boys' School opened in 1932 using the buildings of the old Central National School. The Central National School had opened in 1905 and had taken boys from St Peter's Church of England ...

St Peter's Church School, Stoke-on-Trent

The tablet over the window reads "NATIONAL SCHOOL erected and supported by VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS 1815". The school benefitted also from a £3000 endowment from J C Woodhouse, Dean of Lichfield and former ...

St Peter's Church School, Stoke-on-Trent

St Peter's Church of England Junior and Infants school stood in the south eastern corner of Stoke Minster churchyard, just off Wharf Street (now Brook Street). Opened in 1815, the school was reorganised ...

St Dominic's School, Hartshill

The building in the middle of the photograph was originally "Cliffeville" a house built by a local solicitor, John Tomlinson, in 1810. In the 1920s it was bought by the nuns of the neighbouring Dominican ...

Our Lady of the Angels and St Peter in Chains Church, Hartshill

This photograph was taken from Higson Avenue, looking across Hartshill Road. The brick built Gothic style church is attached to the neighbouring Dominican Convent and was built between the 1850s and 1890s. ...

St Dominic's Convent and Church, Hartshill

The Dominican convent date from the middle of the 19th Century. The Church, dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels and St Peter in Chains, is in the Gothic style and brick built. Built at the top of Hartshill ...

Rubian Art Pottery, Fenton

This photograph was taken looking southwards along St Matthew Street in Fenton. The kilns and workshops of the Rubian Art Pottery are on the right. All traces of the works have been removed and the land ...

Rubian Art Pottery, Fenton

Looking north along St Matthew Street with the workshops and kilns of the Rubian Art Pottery on the left. the Lane Delph works were on this site from the end of the 18th Century. Barkers & Co operated ...

Rubian's Art Pottery, Fenpark Road, Fenton

The Rubian Art Pottery was at the western end of Fenpark Road at the junction with Vivian Road. This was the Park Works. Pottery had been produced on this site from at least the 1770s. The works became ...

Fenton Station

This photograph was taken from Fenton Station looking east towards Longton. Opened in 1864 as part of the North Staffordshire Railway's line between Stoke and Derby. The station was closed in 1961 and ...

Looking south from Fenton Manor Station, Fenton

This was the view from the footbridge south of Fenton Manor Station looking towards Fenton. The station was opened in 1889 as part of the North Staffordshire Railway branch lines to Leek and Biddulph. ...

Aquinas Street, Stoke upon Trent

View from near the top of Aquinas Street down towards Epworth Street and the centre of Stoke. Aquinas Street was originally called Thomas Street. Behind the wall beyond the houses on the left was the ...

The Foley, King Street, Longton

A group of four pottery industry firms on King St in the Foley area of Fenton. From the far end: Don Pottery, manufacturers of china, earthenware glass and fancies, Albert Machin, tile manufacturer, W. ...

The Foley, King Street, Longton

Four pottery industry firms at the Foley works in King Street. The Don Pottery Co produced china, earthenware, glass and fancies. Albert Machin produced tiles and W Perry produced china, earthenware, ...

Old Mossfield Colliery tramway wharf, Goldenhill Road, Fenton

This photograph was taken looking east from halfway up Goldenhill Road opposite the entrance to Foley Park. In the distance is the spoil tip of Mossfield Colliery. The tramway lead off to the right of ...

Mount Pleasant Church of England School, Smithpool Road, Fenton

Mount Pleasant Junior and Infants' School was on the corner of Smithpool Road and Whieldon Road. Originally opened as a branch of St peter's Church of England School in 1858, these building date from ...