Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 5 78 Records Found

A coal wharf, Bridgwood Street, Longton

This photograph is looking north along Bridgwood Street from close to the Sutherland Road junction. A coal wharf on the right was alongside Bridgwood Street (formerly called Wharf Street). The bridge ...

Birches Head Road, Stoke-on-Trent

The view west along Birches Head Road from just before the Caldon Canal. The parapets of the canal bridge are in the centre of the photograph. Just beyond is the level crossing over the Biddulph Valley/Stoke ...

Black Bull station and Victoria Colliery aerial ropeway, Brindley Ford, Stoke-on-Trent

Black Bull Station was just north of Brindley Ford on the Biddulph Valley line, opened in 1860. The station opened in 1864 but the line was used mainly for coal and iron stone and passenger numbers were ...

Black Bull Station and Victoria Colliery, Brindley Ford

This is a view looking north from Bull Lane towards Victoria Colliery. Black Bull station buildings can be seen on the right hand side. The station was on the now dismantled Biddulph Valley Branch. On ...

Bosley station

Bosley Station, Cheshire, pictured around 1963 and still in use. Note the Ford Anglia saloon car, the equivalent of a Ford Ka today! A semaphore railway signal stands to the left of the building. This ...

Bucknall and Northwood Station

Bucknall and Northwood Station looking south along the line towards the next station at Fenton Manor. In the distance is Berry Hill spoil tip. The station was at the bottom of Limekiln Bank and the ...

Bucknall and Northwood Station, Stoke-on-Trent

Opened in 1864, Bucknall & Northwood Station was on the North Staffordshire Railway's Biddulph Valley branch line. Trains also ran between Stoke and Leek, with a line branching off at Milton Junction. ...

Burslem Railway Station

The entrance to Burslem Station on Moorland Road, alongside Burslem Park. Construction of the station began in 1870 and the Potteries Loop Line reached Burslem in 1873. The tablet over the door reads ...

Cheadle Station, Engine No. 12. Photographed by William Blake.

View of Cheadle Station including a steam engine marked No. 12 and passengers waiting on the platform. Cheadle Station was the terminus of the Cheadle Railway, which was worked by the North Staffordshire ...

Cloud End, Congleton. Photographed by William Blake.

Landscape with a view of Cloud End, Nr. Congleton, Cheshire. The large rail viaduct that crosses the River Dane and Macclesfield Canal can be seen in the distance.

Cobridge Station and Moorcroft's Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent

A photograph looking northwards along Sandbach Road in Cobridge taken from the junction with Leek New Road. Moorcoft's pottery factory is in the centre, the home of the company since 1913. On the ...

Down platform, Stoke-on-Trent Railway Station

A view from the down (northbound) platform of Stoke Station. The photographer noted that "smoke from (steam) engines makes it dull". Soon after the photograph was taken, the lines were electrified (1967) ...

East Vale, Longton

Looking west towards the East Vale area of Longton. The railway line is the Stoke to Derby branch. St John's Church in Longton is close to the railway in the distance. The line of coal wagons are on ...

Entrance and ticket office, Milton Railway Station, Stoke-on-Trent

The entrance to Milton Station was on Maunders Road (previously Station Road) on the north western edge of the village. The line was in a cutting and the platforns were below and behind the station building. ...

Entrance to Newchapel & Goldenhill Station, Stoke-on-Trent

The entrance to Newchapel & Goldenhill Station from Colclough Lane with the station nameboard visible just visible. The camera is looking north east and the houses beyond the station are on Birchenwood ...

Erecting a railway bridge, Stoke-on-Trent

This picture was taken during the erection of a railway bridge in the north of Stoke-on-Trent on the 21st April 1929. As you can see a crowd of people gathered to watch the construction. Despite our ...

Etruria junction, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph was taken looking north from the Etruria Road bridge just north of Etruria Station. It shows the junction of the Potteries Loop Line (to the right) with the main line to Manchester (straight ...

Etruria Railway Station