Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 1 14 Records Found
1

Art Class, Sutherland Institute, Longton

Life drawing in Mr. Morse's art class. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke of Sutherland. Today it houses Longton Library.

Bath Street, Stoke upon Trent

From Spark Terrace corner Bath Street runs steeply down to London Road. The van with the Michelin Man on the roof is parked outside the original Stoke Library building. The factory building at the bottom ...

Building the City Central Library, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph was taken during the early stages of the building of the City Central Library and Archives in Bethesda Street. On the left is the chimney attached to the boiler house and on the right ...

Burslem Town Hall

The western end of Burslem's second Town Hall in Market Place. Opened in 1854, this building replaced the first Town Hall and was built on the same site. Behind to the left are PMT buses parked in Market ...

Caretaker of the Sutherland Institute, Longton

Portrait of Mr T. Dawes, caretaker of the Sutherland Institute in Longton for many years. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke ...

City Central Library and Art Gallery & Museum, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph is looking over the foundations of the City Central Library and Archives building towards the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery. This photograph was taken in 1968, before the museum building ...

Pall Mall and the old Central Library buildings, Hanley

The single storey building is the old Mechanic's Institute, opened in 1861. The Institute was a two storey building from 1880 when a third floor was added. The Mechanic's Institute aimed to provide adult ...

Pall Mall, Hanley

The view up Pall Mall from the Piccadilly corner. Pall Mall as a street dates from at least 1818 when it was known as New Street and this area of town was part of Shelton. Right at the top is Hanley ...

Public Library, Baker Street / Glebedale Road, Fenton

This building was constructed between 1900 and 1907 and stands on the corner of Baker Street and Glebedale Street (which was previously known as Station Road). The library consists of two adjoining blocks ...

Smallthorne Library Centre, Ford Green Road

This square two storey building has a basement and central tower on front facia and an extension to the side. It is constructed in red flemish brick with a blue brick plinth. The roof is pitched and tiled ...

Stone Road, Longton

The recreation ground in the process of construction. In the background can be seen the Sutherland Institute. Stone Road has since been renamed Lightwood Road.

The Empire Theatre, Longton

The Chancery Lane side of the building. Built as the Queen's Theatre in 1896 after a fire had destroyed the previous building, the Empire was a theatre until 1921, when it was converted into a cinema. ...

The old library and museum buildings in Pall Mall, Hanley

A view down Pall Mall towards the Piccadilly crossroads with the old library, art gallery and museum on the left. Closest to the camera is the original City Library which itself was originally a school ...

Wedgwood Institute, Queen Street, Burslem

The Wedgwood Memorial Institute in Queen Street, Burslem, is an example of a Grade II Listed Building. It was constructed between 1863 and 1869. The street front of the building has elaborate decoration, ...

1