Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 6 99 Records Found

Alton station

Alton station, Staffordshire, in the 1970s. It is built in the classic Italianate style, and possibly designed by H.A. Hunt, the architect who designed Stoke-on-Trent station. After closure in the ...

Alton station

A train hauled by Fowler 4P locomotive number 42331(?) arrives at a flooded Alton station during the 1950s. The location of the station, on a valley floor and next to the River Churnet, meant that ...

Alton station

Alton station, Staffordshire, 1968. During the Second World War army, navy and air force officers would have used this station during their training visit to Alton Towers. Imagine this station ...

Alton station

Alton station, Staffordshire, around 1958. Coaches stand at the third platform whilst a through train works the "up" line. Alton castle stands on the hillside above. This image is included by kind ...

Alton Station. Circa 1910.

A rather dapper young gentleman takes a seat on the "down" platform at Alton Station around 1910. The station appears to be very quiet; perhaps this was a posed shot taken on a Sunday morning? This ...

Alton Towers Special, Rocester

A British Railways Fowler 2-6-4 locomotive approaches Rocester station with an Alton Towers six-coach special in the late 1950s. After the Second World War the village of Rocester was chosen for the ...

Birchenwood Road near Packmoor, Stoke-on-Trent

Looking north east along Birchenwood Road. The photograph was taken from close to the site of Goldenhill Station, which was just behind the camera, and Birchenwood Road was originally called Station Road. ...

Black Bull Station and Victoria Colliery, Brindley Ford

This is a view looking north from Bull Lane towards Victoria Colliery. Black Bull station buildings can be seen on the right hand side. The station was on the now dismantled Biddulph Valley Branch. On ...

'Black Five' bound for Llandudno

British Railways 'Black Five' 4-6-0 locomotive number 45045 prepares to meet a rake of coaches at Leek railway station. Together, they will form a service bound for Llandudno in North Wales - a long-standing ...

Bosley station

Bosley Station, Cheshire, pictured around 1963 and still in use. Note the Ford Anglia saloon car, the equivalent of a Ford Ka today! A semaphore railway signal stands to the left of the building. This ...

Bucknall and Northwood Station

Bucknall and Northwood Station looking south along the line towards the next station at Fenton Manor. In the distance is Berry Hill spoil tip. The station was at the bottom of Limekiln Bank and the ...

Bucknall and Northwood Station, Stoke-on-Trent

Opened in 1864, Bucknall & Northwood Station was on the North Staffordshire Railway's Biddulph Valley branch line. Trains also ran between Stoke and Leek, with a line branching off at Milton Junction. ...

Burslem Railway Station

The entrance to Burslem Station on Moorland Road, alongside Burslem Park. Construction of the station began in 1870 and the Potteries Loop Line reached Burslem in 1873. The tablet over the door reads ...

Cadets at Stoke Train Station, Station Road, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph shows young cadets from 237 squadron of the ATC on manoeuvres. They are carrying their kit into Stoke station on their way to training camp.

Coal train at Cobridge station

A coal train passes through Cobridge station during 1932. The bottle ovens in the background now belong to Moorcroft Pottery, but are no longer used for firing. Cobridge was connected to the railway ...

Cobridge Station and Moorcroft's Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent

A photograph looking northwards along Sandbach Road in Cobridge taken from the junction with Leek New Road. Moorcoft's pottery factory is in the centre, the home of the company since 1913. On the ...

Down platform, Stoke-on-Trent Railway Station

A view from the down (northbound) platform of Stoke Station. The photographer noted that "smoke from (steam) engines makes it dull". Soon after the photograph was taken, the lines were electrified (1967) ...

Entrance and ticket office, Milton Railway Station, Stoke-on-Trent

The entrance to Milton Station was on Maunders Road (previously Station Road) on the north western edge of the village. The line was in a cutting and the platforns were below and behind the station building. ...