Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 5 81 Records Found

Art Class, Sutherland Institute, Longton

Life drawing in Mr. Morse's art class. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke of Sutherland. Today it houses Longton Library.

Ball Green County Secondary Modern School, Stoke-on-Trent

Ball Green Secondary Modern School on Bemersley Road, Ball Green, Stoke-on-Trent. The camera is looking north, with Bemersley Road off to the right hand side. Although the school buildings have been demolished, ...

Barber's Picture Palace in Hose Street, Tunstall.

Looking along Hose Street towards Roundwell Street with George Barber's cinema on the right hand side. Barber opened the first cinema in the Potteries in Station Road in 1909 and this, "The Regent", in ...

Bath Street, Stoke upon Trent

From Spark Terrace corner Bath Street runs steeply down to London Road. The van with the Michelin Man on the roof is parked outside the original Stoke Library building. The factory building at the bottom ...

Broadway Cinema, Meir

Photograph taken looking south-west. The Broadway cinema was opened on the 14th of December 1936. Built in the Art Deco style, it had an angular design, rounded corners, a "grand staircase" entrance ...

Broadway cinema, Meir. Photographed by William Blake

The Broadway cinema was opened on the 14th of December 1936. Built in the Art Deco style, it had an angular design, rounded corners, a "grand staircase" entrance and seating for 1,000 people. It also ...

Building the City Central Library, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph was taken during the early stages of the building of the City Central Library and Archives in Bethesda Street. On the left is the chimney attached to the boiler house and on the right ...

Buildings adjacent to Matthew Wardhaugh's theatre, Longton.

Buildings being demolished in The Strand, Longton. Matthew Wardhaugh (1813-188) was born in Whitechapel, London. He was first employed as a call boy at Drury Lane Theatre, then made a living by reciting ...

Burslem Public Baths, Moorland Road, Burslem

Burslem Public Baths were on Moorland Road alongside the Loop Line and opposite Burslem Station entrance. Behind was a narrow lane that lead to Chapel Lane. The Loop Line ran under Moorland Road and the ...

Burslem Town Hall

The western end of Burslem's second Town Hall in Market Place. Opened in 1854, this building replaced the first Town Hall and was built on the same site. Behind to the left are PMT buses parked in Market ...

Caretaker of the Sutherland Institute, Longton

Portrait of Mr T. Dawes, caretaker of the Sutherland Institute in Longton for many years. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke ...

Central Hall, Longton. Photographed by William Blake.

The Easter celebration decorations at Central Hall, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Chamberlain Avenue from London Road, Stoke-on-Trent

A view west along Chamberlain Avenue from its junction with London Road, Boothen. The tree-lined road climbs steeply up to Hunters Way. The houses on the left beyond the Assembly Hall were built between ...

City Central Library and Art Gallery & Museum, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph is looking over the foundations of the City Central Library and Archives building towards the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery. This photograph was taken in 1968, before the museum building ...

City Museum & Art Gallery, Bethesda Street, Hanley

The City Museum & Art Gallery was officially opened by Alderman Horace Barks on the 13th October 1956. Built on the site of the Bell Pottery works, this image shows the area before additions were made ...

Commerce Street, Longton

Photograph taken looking south-west. The Empire Cinema and Theatre is on the right.

Donkeys, Blackpool. Photographed by William Blake.

Group portrait of holiday makers taking a donkey ride on Blackpool Beach, Lancashire. The base of Blackpool Tower can be seen in the background.

Drill Hall, Booth Street, Boothen, Stoke

This building was constructed between 1912 and 1924. The windows have decorative stone sills and lintels. There are two entrances into the building; one is a large main door with a decorative stone lintel, ...