Theme Explorer

Start Again > Sport, Arts & Leisure > Cinemas & Theatres
Page 1 of 2 35 Records Found
12

Alhambra Cinema, Longton

Built in 1914 by T C Wild, a Longton pottery owner and future Lord Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent, the Alhambra picture house stood on Upper Normacot Road at the corner of Herbert Road (off to the right). Spring ...

Alhambra Picture House, Normacot

The Alhambra picture house stood on Upper Normacot Road. It was built in 1914 by T. C. Wild, a Longton pottery owner, later Lord Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent. The cinema closed in 1977, and stood derelict ...

Broadway Cinema, Meir

Photograph taken looking south-west. The Broadway cinema was opened on the 14th of December 1936. Built in the Art Deco style, it had an angular design, rounded corners, a "grand staircase" entrance ...

Broadway cinema, Meir. Photographed by William Blake

The Broadway cinema was opened on the 14th of December 1936. Built in the Art Deco style, it had an angular design, rounded corners, a "grand staircase" entrance and seating for 1,000 people. It also ...

Broadway Cinema, Meir. Photographed by William Blake

View of the Broadway Cinema, just off the Broadway roundabout at Meir, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. The policeman on the bicycle is travelling in the direction of Uttoxeter Road (A50) towards Normacott. The ...

Burslem Post Office, Wedgwood Street, Burslem

This Post Office building is on Wedgwood Street close to the junction with Market Place. This building was opened in 1937 and is now known as The Old Post Office. It has been converted for small scale ...

Bust of Shakespeare, The Strand, Longton

The bust of William Shakespeare was formerly on the facade of Matthew Wardhough's theatre, which stood on this site. Matthew Wardhaugh (1813-188) was born in Whitechapel, London. He was first employed ...

Capitol Cinema, Goodson Street, Hanley.

Originally the Royal Alexandra Music Hall, then the Kings Palace Theatre, later Moore and Kennedy's Picture Hall, the Capitol Cinema stood in Goodson Street (formerly New Street) in Hanley. Built in 1892 ...

Cheapside from the Town Hall, Hanley

Taken from outside the Town Hall, this photograph is looking towards Cheapside. On the left the is the old Gaumont Cinema, previously the Regent and later The Odeon. Closed in 1989, the building is ...

Essoldo Cinema, Burslem

The art deco Essoldo Cinema was on the corner of Bournes Bank and Cleveland Street in Burslem. Originally opened in 1911 as the Burslem Picture Palace it was rebuilt in 1936 after the roof collapsed. ...

Essoldo Picture House, Cleveland Street, Burslem.

On the corner of Cleveland Street and Bournes Bank, The Essoldo was the first cinema in Burslem (opened in 1911) and started life as the Burslem Picture Palace. It was rebuilt as The New Palace in 1936, ...

Grand Musical Tory Concert - Election caricatures from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

This notice sends up an imaginary concert staged by an 'aristocratic' political party of 1812, caricatured here as the 'Tory Humbug.' At this time, Members of Parliament had to own property worth at ...

Hartshill Institute, Hartshill Road, Stoke

This plan is of the Hartshill Institute. An article in The Staffordshire Sentinel and Midlands Counties Advertiser of Saturday, January 15, 1859 reports on the official opening of the building. Its ...

Hill Street, Stoke upon Trent.

A view north west up Hill Street from Campbell Place. At the top is Honeywall. The Essoldo Cinema is visible on the right. Formerlty The Danilo, the 1800 seat cinema dates from 1939. The building was ...

Hill Street, Stoke upon Trent.

From near the top of Hill Street, a view south east down towards Campbell Place at the bottom. In the distance is the spoil tip of the Glebe Coliery, Fenton, Glebedale Park today. On the left, halfway ...

Jones & Shufflebottom's premises, Wharf Street, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph shows the old premises of Jones & Shufflebottom (Wholesale Plumbers' and Builders' Merchants) at the north end of Wharf Street, Stoke. The building was formerly the site of Prince's Hall ...

Laurel and Hardy society, Sons of the Desert, Another Fine Mess IV, Staffordshire

This photograph, showing a meeting of members from the Sons of the Desert, a Laurel and Hardy appreciation society, was taken by a student from Staffordsire University, as part of his studies. The 1994 ...

Mitchell Memorial Theatre, Broad Street, Hanley

Erected in tribute to the designer of the Spitfire, the Mitchell Memorial Theatre and Youth Centre stands at the north end of Broad Street in Hanley. The foundation stone was laid in 1955 and the theatre ...

12