Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 2 21 Records Found
12

An Aerial view of Burslem town centre

The aerial photograph was taken in 1927 and shows Market Place running up the middle with the town Hall on its left. In the bottom left hand corner is Fountain Place with St John's Square off to the ...

Butterfield Place, Tunstall

The photograph is looking west along Butterfield Place towards Tunstall High Street. Butterfield Place was originally known as Amicable Street. On the right is the side and rear of Tunstall Town Hall ...

Cock’s Entry, Burslem

This ally way leads from Brickhouse Street to Market Place in Burslem. It gained the nickname 'Cock’s Entry' during the nineteenth century when the 'sport' of cockfighting was a popular pastime. ...

Fountain Square from Stafford Street, Hanley

This was the view north from Stafford Street into Fountain Square with Market Square visible beyond. Now pedestrianised, there is no longer a roundabout in the square. The shops on the left (Willerbys ...

Lamb Street, Hanley

The photograph was taken before The Potteries Shopping Centre was built and when Market Square was parking space. Looking along Lamb Street, on the right is Martins Bank, amalgamated into Barclays Bank ...

Nantwich, Cheshire. Photographed by William Blake.

Street scene taken in High Street, Nantwich, Cheshire. This row of buildings is a typical example of the half timbered, black and white Tudor architecture found in the historic market town.

Parliament Row, Hanley.

This scene shows a billposter outside Woolworth & Co. Ltd around the late fifties or early sixties. The poster advertises the play 'Subway in the Sky', which was showing at the Odeon cinema where Frederick ...

Parliament Square and Hanley meat market

The old Hanley meat market from Parliament Square withy Webberley's store in the background. Built in 1831 in classical style with Roman style Doric doorways, the old meat market building is now grade ...

Royal Visit to Burslem, Market Place

Burslem Town Hall and Meat Market decorated for the visit of Edward, Prince of Wales

Shops around Market Square, Hanley

The view of Market Square from Lamb Street, with Town Road at the top. The Bass public house on Town Road is The Grapes which was next door to The Angel. Demolished in the 1970s it became a car accessory ...

Shops around Market Square, Hanley

A photograph of the north side of Market Square into Lamb Street, probably taken on a Sunday or Bank Holiday given the lack of traffic and parked cars. M Huntbach's store dominates one side of Lamb Street, ...

Shops around Market Square, Hanley.

This was the view up Market Square towards the Angel public house on Town Road. In 1963 the square hadn't been pedestrianised and was a popular car parking area. On the right, where the Potteries Shopping ...

St John's Square, Burslem

This is a view of the west side of St John's Square in Burslem taken from the corner of Wm Clowes Street. Newcastle Street and Market Place are off to the right hand edge. The square has along history, ...

St John's Square, Burslem

Looking from St John's Square towards Market Place and the old Town Hall in Burslem. The photograph was taken from outside the Duke William public house. The square was built up from the 1800s and appears ...

Stoke market hall, Church Street, Stoke

This plan is of Stoke market hall in Church Street, Stoke. The building is still used as a market hall today and has an adjacent area of open land with outdoor stalls. Diagrams (from top): - Front of ...

Swan Square, Burslem

The west side of Swan Square in Burslem. To the left is Queen Street, with The Wedgwood Institute on the right hand side. On the corner is the Art Deco style Burslem & District Co-operative Society Emporium, ...

Swan Square, Burslem

The Lloyds Bank building stood on the north side of Swan Square. The building still stands but has changed use. The date tablet above the main entrance (1765) is the date of the foundation of Lloyds Bank. ...

The Swan Hotel, Burslem

The Swan Hotel is on the north side of Swan Square in Burslem. Arnold Bennett called it the Duck inn in his novels of the Five Towns. Today it is a public house, called just The Swan. There was an inn ...

12