Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 23 405 Records Found

14 Frederick Avenue, Penkhull

This building was originally a Sunday School and Chapel that stood on Frederick Avenue, previously Frederick Street until 1912. It was constructed in 1909 but has since been demolished.

1813 Report of the State of the Poor in the Parish of Burslem - Document from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

This document provides an account of benefit payments in Burslem at the end of January 1813. In 1811, the town's population had been 8,625. In January 1813, 1,335 of these were receiving relief ...

1813 Report of the State of the Poor in the Parish of Burslem - Enoch Wood Scrapbook

This list, compiled by Burslem's Parish Churchwardens, reveals some of the town's unemployment problems in the period around Christmas 1812 and January of the following year. The rates 'Rates' collected ...

1813 Report on the State of the Poor in the Parish of Burslem - Document from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

This document provides an account of benefit payments in Burslem at the end of January 1813. In 1811, the town's population had been 8,625. In January 1813, 1,335 of these were receiving relief ...

Adams Street, Milton, Stoke-on-Trent

This is a view north along Adams Street from Newleigh Street (once New Street) in Milton. Millrise Road is at the top, with the line of trees. The large building (right) at the corner of Adams Street ...

All Saints Church, Dilhorne

Photograph taken from outside the Colliers Arms pub, at the junction of Caverswall Road and Forsbrook Road. The Church of All Saints has one of the few octagonal towers in the country. The lower part ...

Alstonefield Church. Photographed by William Blake.

Church interior taken at Alstonefield Church, Staffordshire.

Arches in Stoke-on-Trent Churchyard

This view of St. Peter's Church, Stoke-on-Trent is from Church Street. The arches in the foreground are the ruins of a Saxon and a later twelfth century church. The remains of the medieval church were ...

Arnold Bennett's grave in Burslem Cemetery

Burslem Cemetery was consecrated in 1879. It lies between Hanley Road, Leek New Road and the grassed over spoil tip of Sneyd Colliery. The cemetery chapel was demolished in 2008. Arnold Bennett died ...

Article from the Public Enquirer, taken from the Enoch Wood scrapbook - "The Wellington Quick-Step to Anarchy"

Moderate readers of the Public Inquirer on Saturday April 23 1829 might have choked on this partisan account of the movement for Catholics' civil rights in Britain. Thomas Mulock's rage The author ...

Assembly Hall, Chamberlain Avenue, Stoke on trent

The photograph was taken on the corner of London Road and Chamberlain Avenue, Stoke on Trent. In 1912 a group of unsectarian Christians set up an Assembly Hall in Welch Street in Stoke upon Trent, and ...

Barker Street , Longton

Photograph taken looking towards the north-west. St. James's Church is visible. St. James the Less Church on Uttoxeter Road, Longton. A Commissioners' Church built in 1832-34 to designs by T. Johnson ...

Barlaston Cemetery. Photographed by William Blake.

Barlaston Cemetery's West Side, Barlaston, Nr. Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Barlaston Cemetery. Photographed by William Blake.

Barlaston Cemetery's West Side, Barlaston, Nr. Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Barlow Street, Longton

Photograph taken from Sutherland Road, with St. James's church in the background.

Belgrave Road Congregational Chapel, Dresden

A new chapel was erected in Belgrave Road in 1885, replaced by the building in this photograph in 1906. The membership was 25 in 1957 and the chapel then seated 450. It has since been demolished.

Belgrave Road, Normacot

Photograph taken looking east along Belgrave Road towards the Church of Holy Evangelist, from a point close to the junction with Argyle Road. The Church of Holy Evangelists was built in 1847. It was ...

Bethesda Chapel, Hanley

This is an interior photograph of Bethesda Chapel taken in April 1949. The people standing on the balcony, in the top right corner of the photograph, are the choir. Built in 1819, Bethesda Chapel is an ...