Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 11 182 Records Found

14 Frederick Avenue, Penkhull

This building was originally a Sunday School and Chapel that stood on Frederick Avenue, previously Frederick Street until 1912. It was constructed in 1909 but has since been demolished.

Adderley Green Schools. Photographed by William Blake.

View of Adderley Green Schools just off Anchor Road, Adderley Green, Nr. Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Archbishop McIntyre School, Birches Head, Stoke-on-Trent

Archbishop McIntyre Roman Catholic Secondary (later Junior High) School was on Birches Head Road in Hanley. The school amalgamated with blessed William Southerne to become St Margaret Ward. The buildings ...

Archbishop McIntyre School, Birches Head, Stoke-on-Trent

Students at Archbishop McIntyre Roman Catholic Secondary School on Birches Head Road in Hanley. The school later became a Junior High School before closing (after amalgamation with Blessed William Southerne). ...

Art Class, Sutherland Institute, Longton

The photograph shows William Morse and his Art class. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke of Sutherland. Today it houses Longton ...

Art Class, Sutherland Institute, Longton

Life drawing in Mr. Morse's art class. The Sutherland Institute was opened in 1899 on land given by Cromartie Sutherland-Levison-Gower, the 4th Duke of Sutherland. Today it houses Longton Library.

Assembly in a Normacot school

Possibly Normacot Infants School, Meir Road, Normacot. The school opened in 1853, with new buildings in 1876, and a new infants' school in 1895. All the new buildings were demolished in about 1954. ...

Ball Green County Secondary Modern School, Stoke-on-Trent

Ball Green Secondary Modern School on Bemersley Road, Ball Green, Stoke-on-Trent. The camera is looking north, with Bemersley Road off to the right hand side. Although the school buildings have been demolished, ...

Ball Green Primary School, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph shows the final stages in the building of Ball Green Primary School, taken in May 1964 just four months before the school opened. Just off Whitfield Road, the school is next to Fir Tree ...

Benson Street, Pitts Hill, Tunstall

Looking east along Benson Street (formerly New Street) in Pitts Hill. The photograph was taken from the corner of St Michaels Road (formerly High Street). On the right is the former Tunstall Primitive ...

Bethesda Schoolrooms, Hanley

The photograph shows the western end of Alexander House, the former Methodist Sunday School of the neighbouring Bethesda Chapel. The gable end has a tablet in the pediment "Bethesda School, erected MDCCCXIX ...

Birches Head RC School, Boulton Street, Hanley

Saint George and Saint Martin Roman Catholic Junior School in Boulton Street, Birches Head. Opened in 1915 as an infants school, it became a school taking pupils up to 14 years old in 1925. The school ...

Birches Head Road, Stoke-on-Trent

The view west along Birches Head Road from just before the Caldon Canal. The parapets of the canal bridge are in the centre of the photograph. Just beyond is the level crossing over the Biddulph Valley/Stoke ...

Bishop Road, Chell Heath

Looking west along Bishop Road from close to the junction with Chell Heath Road. Off to the right are the buildings of Burnwood Nursery, Infants and Junior School (now demolished and replaced by Stoke ...

Book Illustration. Photographed by William Blake.

Photograph of an article entitled "Estates of the Rich and Poor." The article illustrates the disparities in the distribution of wealth between the rich and the poor. Along with other images in the ...

Botanical Study, by Elizabeth Blake

Sketched scientific cross sectional study of a Primrose. The diagram provides names for parts of the plant's anatomy. This study was undertaken by Elizabeth Blake, William Blake's sister, and details ...

Broom Street Nursery School, Hanley

The school was designed of Queen Anne style by architect William Keates. It was built in 1879 to accomodate 750 children and cost £6,953 to construct.

Broom Street School, Hanley. Circa 1950

A boys PE lesson at Broom Street School. Exercise and play areas were small, the girls and infants being given even less space than the boys.