Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 35 619 Records Found

A G Richardson's Britannia Pottery, Cobridge

A G Richardson's Britannia Pottery stood at the junction of North Road and Leek New Road in Cobridge. Behind the works is the spoil tip of Sneyd Colliery (now Sneyd Hill Park). The office building still ...

A hovel at the Victoria Pottery, Fenton

The entrance to a hovel at the Victoria Pottery in Fenton. A hovel was a brick built bottle shaped building that enclosed the kiln. The hovel created a draught which removed smoke and protected the firing ...

A J Wilkinson's Pottery, Irwell Street, Middleport

The front entrance to A J Wilkinson's Pottery in Irwell Street (formerly West Street). West Street was at the bottom of Prospect Street, close to the Trent & Mersey Canal, off Newport Lane. West Street, ...

A view from Hartshill Park, Stoke-on-Trent

The camera is looking north east from the end of Vicarage Road at the entrance to Hartshill Park and Nature Reserve. The middle of the photograph is dominated by the gas holders and buildings of Etruria ...

A view north from Hartshill Park, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph was taken from the top of Vicarage Road, at the entrance to Hartshill Park and Nature Reserve. The camera is looking northwards. Inn the foreground is the Diamond Clay Works, manufacturing ...

Acme Marls works, Burslem

Acme Marls occupied a site on the corner of Bournes Bank and Enoch Street (now Woodbank Street) in Burslem. The company made kiln furniture (refractory supports on which pottery is stacked during firing ...

Adams pottery factory, Furlong Road, Tunstall

The photograph shows the Greengates Pottery Works of William Adams & Sons in Furlong Road. The works was at the eastern end close Tunstall High Street (just to the right). William Adams opened a factory, ...

Adelaide Street, Burslem

Adelaide Street links Waterloo Road and Nile Street in Burslem. The Adelaide Street Pottery was operated by Robert Sudlow & Sons from the 1880s, although there had been a potworks on the site since at ...

Aerial view of Longton, Stoke-on-Trent.

Aerial view of Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Taken in the 1960s, this view shows many pottery factories, bottle ovens and warehouses. The street running left to right in the middle ground is The Strand. Taken ...

Aitken Street, Dalehall, Middleport

Aitken Street is a short street off Ellgreave Street in the Dalehall area of Middleport. There are two ceramics related factories in the photograph: Repton Tiles and Ellgreave Pottery (on the right). Repton ...

Albert Street Pottery, Hobson Street, Burslem.

The camera is looking northwards along Hobson Street in Burslem. The works on the right (Albert Potteries) is now part of the Dudson Group, manufacturing Armorlite tableware. Hobson Street was originally ...

Albion Street and Normacot Road, Longton

Albion Street was renamed Morpeth Street in the 1950s.

Alexandra Mill, Wardle Street, Tunstall

The Alexandra Mill was a flint and stone mill linked to Johnson Brothers (Hanley) Alexandra Pottery. This is the entrance at the bottom of Wardle Street formerly Meadow Street. Behind the mill were sidings ...

Alfred Meakins pottery factory, Hollywall Lane, Goldenhill, Stoke-on-Trent

Alfred Meakins opened their factory off Hollywall Lane in 1957. The site was originally part of the Williamson estate which was sold off in the 1950s of which Meakins purchased 150 acres. Robert Williamson ...

Alfred Meakin's Royal Albert Pottery, Tunstall

Alfred Meakin's Victoria Pottery on the right looking up Bank Street. Meakin's took over an existing pottery in 1873 and expanded the factory in 1885. The site is now housing

Alley off Hope Street, Hanley

This is an alley running off Hope Street in Hanley leading to the New Hall Pottery works. This alleyway is marked on the 1880 O.S. map. and the surrounding housing and works buildings are earlier. The ...

Alleyway leading to Market Street, Longton

The Heathcote Hotel is visible at the far end of the alley.

Alma Works Demolition, Longton

Pottery factory in the process of being demolished. Taken at the Alma Works, Uttoxeter Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Taken from the Gladstone Pottery Museum Photographic Collection. This photograph ...