Theme Explorer

Start Again > Business, Trade & Industry > Gas, Elecricity & Water
Page 1 of 1 13 Records Found
1

Blyth Pottery, Longton

This is the rear of Blyth Pottery on Sandgate Street (previously Gate Street) in Longton. The front of the works, operated by John Tams & Sons Ltd., was on Uttoxeter Road. These works produced earthenware. ...

Caldon Canal and waterworks at Stockton Brook

The view north along the Caldon Canal near middle lock at Stockton Brook. To the right is the chimney of Stockton Brook Waterworks. The waterworks were built in 1884 by the Staffordshire Potteries Water ...

Cliff Vale Engineering works, Shelton New Road, Stoke-on-Trent

Cliff Vale Engineering was on Shelton New Road. Behind the works is a cooling tower and gas holder belonging to Etruria gasworks. The site today is occupied by a timber merchant.

Coburg Street, Fenton

The camera is looking northwards from the corner of Alfred Street along Coburg Street. Alfred Street runs off Victoria Road, but Coburg Street has been redeveloped and Hayfield Crescent now follows its ...

East Street in Goldenhill, Stoke-on-Trent

The gas lamp cleaner in East Street. East street with its neighbours Central Street and West Street were three streets between present day Albany Street and Gilbert Street in Goldenhill. The terraced ...

Etruria Gas Works, Stoke-on-Trent

A view from North Street towards Etruria gasworks. Etruria gas works opened in 1904 to produce town gas and was owned by the City of Stoke-on-Trent Gas department from 1922 until the industry was nationalised ...

Hanley power station.

Hanley power station supplied the town with all its power from 1894. After the Federation in 1910 power was also supplied to Newcastle. Much of this load was taken off Hanley power station after construction ...

Longport Gas Works, Canal Street., Stoke-on-Trent

Longport Gas Works was on Canal Street. Originally established as the Burslem and Tunstall Gas Company, Longport was the man gas-making station. Later it was taken over by the City of Stoke on Trent Gas ...

Mellor's Minerals mill, Etruria Vale, Stoke-on-Trent

Mellor's mill was alongside the Caldon Canal just off Etruria Vale Road. The canal is hidden behind the wall and buildings on the left. This was once the Anderton Canal Company wharf and basin, the bridge ...

Robson Street, Hanley

Looking down Robson Street towards the entrance to the Hanley Greyhound and Speedway Stadium (Sun Street Stadium). In the middle distance is one of the gas holders belonging to Etruria gasworks. On the ...

Staffordshire Water Board Offices, Albion Street, Hanley

The building with the flag pole was the Staffordshire Potteries Water Board offices at 37 Albion Street and the neighbouring building on the corner of Bethesda Street and Albion Street was originally ...

Stanley Pool

The dam at the north west end of Stanley Pool. Built in 1786 as an 8 acre (3¼ hectare) reservoir to supply water for the nearby Caldon Canal, the pool was enlarged to 33 acres (13 hectares) in 1840 ...

Stockton Brook waterworks and Caldon Canal.

The view west along the Caldon Canal with the Staffordshire Potteries Water Company's Stockton Brook pumping station on the right. A successful trial borehole was drilled in 1882 into the underlying Millstone ...

1