Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 2 30 Records Found
12

Anchor Works, Longton

The Anchor Works stood at the junction of Anchor Road, Sutherland Road and Market Street. The Anchor works mustn't be confused with the nearby "British Anchor Pottery" on Anchor Road. These works date ...

Bagnall Road, Baddeley Edge, Stoke-on-Trent

Looking north east down Bagnall Road, from close to its junction with Wardle Lane, towards Spout Lane. The house just visible over the van still stands. The delivery van belonged to the Co-operative Society. ...

Belgrave Road, Dresden. Photographed by William Blake.

Street scene taken at Belgrave Road, Dresden, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. This is one of many street scenes in the Blake Collection. Most of them were taken in the Normacot and Dresden areas near ...

Blue John Pottery, hanley

The Blue John Pottery was in Union Street in Hanley. Established around 1886, the company produced a variety of beakers, jugs, dishes ,teapots, vases etc. The works has been demolished and Union Street ...

Bridgwood Street, Longton

The view north along Wharf Street towards the Tuscan China Works on Forrister Street. Wharf Street is today Bridgwood Street and the terraced houses have been replaced with modern housing. The photograph ...

Charles Bunting steam truck

This steam truck was operated by Charles Bunting Limited, a firm of breakers based in Uttoxeter. Steam trucks were closely related to the heavy traction engines often used in agriculture between 1840 ...

Connaught Street, Tunstall

The corner of Connaught Street (originally named Albert Street) and Tunstall High Street (on the right). The Glass & Pottery Company' main premises were just on the corner, at 23 High Street. They ...

Co-operative Milk Service Van.

Very little is known about this photograph. The crushed vehicle has writing above the windscreen which reads, Co-operative Milk Service. If you can provide any further information about this photograph ...

Cratemaker.

View of a cratemaking company yard. In the foreground is the company truck and Mr. W. J. Shenton is pictured holding the horse. The long hazel rods used in crate making can be seen in the background, ...

Delivering wares

Crates of wares, packed with straw, are unloaded from a North Staffordshire Railway truck. Crate-making was an auxilliary trade that served the pottery industry. Fragile finished wares needed protection ...

Drummond Street, Goldenhill, Stoke-on-Trent

Drummond Street (Victoria Street until the 1950s) was just off High Street, Goldenhill. The area has been cleared of houses and is now occupied by the Goldenhill Community Hall. There is a date tablet ...

Ellgreave Pottery, Burslem

The Ellgreave Pottery was part of Wood & Sons and manufactured earthenware, specialising in teapots and "fancies". The pottery was off Ellgreave Street in Burslem, this photograph shows the back of the ...

Endon Road, Norton Green, Stoke-on-Trent

A view north east along Endon Road on the edge of Norton Green. The road drops down into the valley of the River Trent before climbing up to Brown Edge and Endon in the distance. On the left, just ...

Gordon Works pottery, Pinnox Street, Tunstall

Then Gordon Works was on the north side of Pinnox Street. Built around1885 it was originally operated by Cumberlidge & Humphries, it manufactured earthenware. Later occupied by Gater Hall, from 1915 it ...

Grafton Pottery Works, Longton

The Grafton Pottery Works was on Marlborough Road, Ashwood in Longton. Built in 1900 for Alfred B Jones who set up his family business around this time. The name came from the neighbouring Grafton Junior ...

Lodge Road, Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent

Lodge Road is just east of Hilton Road and connects Newcastle Lane with Ashlands Road. This is the view looking north west just before the junction with Oliver Road, off to the left. Just visible between ...

Market Street, Longton

Market Street in Longton in the 1960s. thye photograph was taken from the Sutherland Road/Anchor Road junction looking north west towards Market Square. The shop in the centre is Leeke's grocers, with ...

Mazda Lamps factory and Mother's Pride Bakery, Newcastle Road, Stoke-on-Trent

The industrial site on the far side of Newcastle Road (A34) had two factories. Farthest away from the camera is the Mother's Pride Bakery. This was part of Premier Foods group. Between the 1960s and ...

12