Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 3 48 Records Found

Alleyway leading to Market Street, Longton

The Heathcote Hotel is visible at the far end of the alley.

Anchor China Works and old Police Station, Sutherland Road, Longton

The Longton end of Sutherland Road with part of Longton Police Station on the right hand edge and the Anchor China Works in the centre. The road sign is giving directions for the junction of Sutherland ...

Anchor Road, Adderley Green. Photographed by William Blake.

Street scene with a view of Anchor road, Adderley Green, Nr. Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. The left hand turning is Gladstone Street, which is now called Bambury Street. The Railway Hotel ...

Borough Hotel, Trinity Street, Hanley.

The Borough hotel was one of two pubs in Trinity Street sharing the same name. This one was colloquially known as 'The Big Borough' because of its size. At this time it was owned by the local Parker's ...

Church Street, Stoke upon Trent

A view north along Church Street at the junction with Campbell Place (to the left). Sutherland Chambers, dated 1899, is the large building, with many chimneys, on the left next to the modern supermarket. ...

Crown Hotel, Longton

The Crown Hotel (previously the Crown and Anchor Hotel) is at the bottom of King Street alongside Longton railway bridge. This was originally the site of the White Horse public house, going back to the ...

Edensor Hotel, Edensor Road, Longton

This small hotel stands on the corner of Edensor Road and Willow Row, just outside Longton. The proprietor stands with her family for the portrait outside what must have been Longton’s smallest ...

Etruria Hall

The view northwards from the Trent & Mersey Canal with Etruria Hall in the centre and Shelton Steel works to the left. Behind the hall are the spoil heaps of Shelton and Racecourse Collieries. This photograph ...

Etruria Hall

The front elevation of Etruria Hall. The central part of the building was built between 1768 and 1771 for Josiah Wedgwood and his family. From his office Wedgwood could look over towards the Trent & Mersey ...

Granville Hotel, Sampson Street, Hanley

The Granville Hotel stood in Sampson Street (known as Clarence Street until renamed in the 1950s), just a little way off York Street (A5006). The hotel was demolished when the surrounding streets were ...

High Street, Hanley.

This view of what is now Town Road has completely changed from this quiet scene in the early part of last century. The only remaining building is the church on the left. Where the building at the top ...

Lion's Furnishing Store, Church Street, Stoke upon Trent

The highly decorated three-storey store dates from the end of the 19th century and was originally Lion's furniture store. The lions, which look like ceramic, were originally painted gold. Above the middle ...

Liverpool Arms Hotel and Bowbell Pottery, Burslem

The Bowbell Pottery (at number 70) occupied the building that once was The Liverpool Arms Hotel on Westport Road in Burslem. Westport Road was originally named Liverpool Road as it was the route from ...

Liverpool Road, Stoke upon Trent

This is a view north along Liverpool Road from its junction with Church Street in Stoke, also known as Gray's Corner. The building in the left foreground was known as the Queen's Hotel. On the front ...

Longton Cottage Hospital. Photographed by William Blake.

Longton Cottage Hospital. Taken at Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Nantwich, Street. Photographed by William Blake.

Street scene taken in High Street, Nantwich, Cheshire. This row of buildings is a typical example of the half timbered, black and white Tudor architecture found in the town.

North Stafford Hotel and Josiah Wedgwood statue, Stoke upon Trent

A view of Winton Square showing the Neo-Jacobean style North Stafford Hotel, on the left, which was opened as the Railway Hotel in 1849. To the right are three houses (Nos 4,5 & 6) built in the same style ...

North Stafford Hotel, Stoke upon Trent

Today's North Stafford Hotel faces Stoke station across Station Road and was originally called The Railway Hotel. The hotel and the station were designed and built together and the hotel opened for business ...