Latest Additions To The Site

Page 8 of 56 1000 Records Found

Prefabricated houses on Westfield Road, Bucknall

These council built prefabricated bungalows were built after the Second World War and lasted into the 1970s. The panels making up the walls and roof are clearly seen. Apart from Westfield Road, they were ...

Bucknall Parish Church Hall, Werrington Road, Bucknall

The old church hall has been renamed the Marychurch Centre and is also the Parish Office. Built between the late 1950s and the early 60s, the hall stands on the north side of Werrington Road. It is the ...

Birchgate in Townsend, Bucknall

Looking northeast along Birchgate with Bucknall covered reservoir in the distance. The photograph was taken close to the junction with Werrington Road and Eaves Lane. The houses on both sides of the road ...

Old colliery trackway over Fenton Road, Bucknall

The trackway on this embankment came from Victoria Colliery to the south. The embankment carried the trackway over Fenton Road to a coal wharf on Dividy Road. The houses running across the middle of the ...

Werrington Road from Guy Street, Townsend, Bucknall

The camera is looking eastwards along Werrington Road with Guy Street off to the right. Guy Street was known as New Street until the 1950s renaming. The houses and shops on the right date from the end ...

St. Joseph's Church, Goldenhill.

St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church on High Street in Goldenhill. The brick built church was constructed between 1951-53, replacing an earlier school, chapel and mission in Breakespeare Street. There is ...

St. Bartholomew's Church, Blurton

St Bartholomew's Church from just off Church Road in Blurton. The exact date of the church is uncertain, but it was in existence in 1577 although the present building is largely a 1620 and later rebuild. ...

Spencer Stevenson's Enson works, Longton

This photograph was taken at the top of Short Street, just off Uttoxeter Road. The bottle ovens are part of Spencer Stevenson's Enson Pottery between Short Street and neighbouring Chelson Street (formerly ...

Longton Town Hall

This photograph shows Longton Town Hall on Times Square, looking towards Market Street. Times Square was the original market square in Longton and laid out in 1789. This is Longton's second Town Hall, ...

Longton Market from Transport Lane

This photograph was taken from halfway along Transport Lane (formerly called Market Lane) with Market Street at the bottom. One of the six entrances to the Public Market is seen through the gate in the ...

John Tams Crown Works, Longton

John Tams Crown Works on the corner of Commerce Street and the Strand (previously Stafford Street). The camera is looking northwards. The earthenware works dates from the 1840s, operated by John Goodwin ...

Crown Hotel, Longton

The Crown Hotel (previously the Crown and Anchor Hotel) is at the bottom of King Street alongside Longton railway bridge. This was originally the site of the White Horse public house, going back to the ...

Calcining kilns at Bucknall Flint Mill, Rixley Road, Bucknall

A pair of calcining kilns at George Edwards' Bucknall Flint Mill with their load of flint nodules after roasting (calcining). Adding ground flint and bone (up to 50%), gives ware strength, whiteness ...

Bucknall Flint Mill, Ruxley Road, Bucknall

George Edwards' Flint Mill on Ruxley Road. Also known as Bucknall Flint Mill it stands on the old mill stream or race taken off the River Trent near Finney Gardens. Ground bone and flint revolutionised ...

Bucknall Flint Mill, Ruxley Road, Bucknall

The courtyard of Edwards' Bucknall Flint Mill on Ruxley Road. On the left is a pile of Cornish stone (or China stone) ready for smashing and grinding by the stone crusher alongside. About 1747 it was ...

Entrance to Longton Public Market

The entrance to Longton Public Market on the Strand. This was one of six entrances to the market, but by far the most ornate. Built with a French renaissance style roof this market opened in 1863 and ...

Spencer Stevenson Pottery, Short Street, Longton

This photograph was taken looking north up Short Street from Normacot Road. On the left are the four bottle ovens of the Enson Works. This mid 19th Century pottery had a variety of operators, latterly ...

George Edwards' Flint Mill, Ruxley Road, Bucknall

George Edwards mill in Ruxley Road, close to the junction with Bucknall road, next to the mill stream that flowed from the River Trent at Finney Gardens. Bucknall Road is off to then left. The two ovens ...