Theme Explorer

Page 7 of 43 770 Records Found

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Middleport

Map showing the area to the south-west of Burslem town centre now known as Middleport. St. Paul's Church can be seen in the centre of the map. Dale Street, Globe Street and Newport Street are still ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Middleport

Map showing the area to the south-west of Burslem town centre known as Middleport. Navigation Road and Newport Lane are still there today. Port Vale Mill can be seen situated on the Trent and Mersey ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Middleport

Map of the area to the south-west of Burslem town centre now known as Middleport. Newport Lane runs down the centre of the map. It eventually meets the Trent and Mersey Canal. Furlong Lane, Port ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Port Vale Wharf and the Trent and Mersey Canal

To the south-west of Burslem, this area is now known as Middleport. Longport Station and Fowlea Brook can be seen toward the bottom left of the map. The Railway Inn is just along the road from ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - The Trent and Mersey Canal through Longport and Middleport

Map showing the Trent and Mersey Canal weaving through Longport and Middleport. This area lies to the south-west of Burslem town centre. Why were the maps made? This series of maps was surveyed ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps- Public Sewer in St. John's Square and Market Place Plan

Map showing details of Burslem's drainage plan. Why were the maps made? This series of maps was surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department in 1851 in accordance with the provisions of the Public ...

Burslem Railway Station

The entrance to Burslem Station on Moorland Road, alongside Burslem Park. Construction of the station began in 1870 and the Potteries Loop Line reached Burslem in 1873. The tablet over the door reads ...

Cadets at Stoke Train Station, Station Road, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph shows young cadets from 237 squadron of the ATC on manoeuvres. They are carrying their kit into Stoke station on their way to training camp.

Caldon Canal and waterworks at Stockton Brook

The view north along the Caldon Canal near middle lock at Stockton Brook. To the right is the chimney of Stockton Brook Waterworks. The waterworks were built in 1884 by the Staffordshire Potteries Water ...

Caldon Canal at Heakley Hall Farm, Norton Green

A view south west along the Caldon Canal from the bridge near Heakley Hall Farm. The buildings on the skyline are on Norton Lane. The arm of the canal to Norton Green foundry went off to the right between ...

Caldon Canal at Stanley Road, Stockton Brook

Looking east along the Caldon Canal from the Stanley Road bridge in Stockton Brook. The lock is the Top Lock (number 9) on the canal, with boats up to 72 feet long and 7 feet wide able to use the canal. ...

Caldon Canal at Stockton Brook, Stoke-on-Trent

The Caldon Canal in a near derelict state. The road bridge carries the A53, Leek New Road and has been rebuilt and widened since the photograph was taken. Restoration of the canal took place in the 1970s. ...

Caldon Canal at Stockton Brook, Stoke-on-Trent

The lower lock (of five) on the Caldon Canal at Stockton Brook. These locks lift the canal to its summit level. The lock overflow is at the left edge of the photograph and Stockton Brook waterworks is ...

Caldon Canal from Bedford Street bridge, Hanley

Looking south along the Caldon Canal from the bridge at Bedford Street. On the left is the edge of large Bedford earthenware works operated by Ridgways. The tall building in the centre of the photograph ...

Caldon Canal from near Botteslow Street bridge, Hanley

The camera is looking east from the Caldon Canal towpath near Botteslow Street road bridge. The row of buildings on the left are the rear of Elijah Cotton's Nelson Pottery works. On the right was the ...

Caldon Canal in Abbey Hulton, Stoke-on-Trent

The bridge carries the original North Staffordshire Railway Stoke to Leek and Biddulph Valley lines over the Caldon Canal near Abbey Hulton. The line has been dismantled and is now a footpath and cycleway. ...

Caldon Canal in Hanley Park

Hanley Park opened in 1897, covering nearly 65 acres (25 hectares) and was designed by Thomas Mawson who also laid out Burslem Park. He laid the park out on what was known as "Stoke Fields", an area ...

Caldon Canal near Lichfield Street, Stoke-on-Trent

This picture shows the Caldon Canal running past a pottery factory near Lichfield Street in Stoke-on-Trent. Canals were a very important means of transporting raw materials and finished ceramic products: ...