Latest Additions To The Site

Page 51 of 56 1000 Records Found

Swan Square, Burslem

The west side of Swan Square in Burslem. To the left is Queen Street, with The Wedgwood Institute on the right hand side. On the corner is the Art Deco style Burslem & District Co-operative Society Emporium, ...

Swan Square, Burslem

The Lloyds Bank building stood on the north side of Swan Square. The building still stands but has changed use. The date tablet above the main entrance (1765) is the date of the foundation of Lloyds Bank. ...

J Steventon & Sons pottery, Steventon Place, Burslem

The entrance to Steventon & Sons Royal Pottery works at the end of Steventon Place, off Market Place in Burslem. John Steventon (formerly Brown and Steventon) started in 1897 and latterly made Royal Venton ...

J Steventon & Sons pottery, Burslem

J Steventon & Sons occupied a pottery in Steventon Place, just off Market Place in Burslem. They operated the Royal Pottery at the bottom of Steventon Place. Established as Brown & Steventon in 1897 ...

Harvey Street or Sneyd Terrace, Burslem

The camera is looking northeast along what was Harvey Street in the 1890s, later Sneyd Terrace and now named Lingard Street. At the top end today is Stoke on Trent College's Burslem campus. On the right ...

Entrance to bottle oven, J Steventon & Sons, Burslem

The entrance or "wicket" to a biscuit bottle oven at J Steventon's Royal Pottery in Burslem. The wicket was used to place the ware in the oven. For firing the opening was bricked up and sealed with clay ...

Cobridge Brick & Marl Company, Sneyd, Burslem

The view north from Sneyd Street over the Cobridge Brick & Marl Company's fireclay pit and works. Beyond the works is Leek New Road and Sandbach Street. On the skyline is the spoil tip for Chatterley ...

Bottle oven at J Steventon's Royal Pottery, Burslem

The outside of a biscuit bottle oven at the Royal Pottery, off Steventon Place, in Burslem. The entrance (or wicket) to the oven is through the corrugated iron roofed porch. Behind the oven are the workshops ...

Orgreave Street, Cobridge

The camera is looking along Orgreave Street, from Waterloo Road, towards the Bleak Hill pottery works. Orgreave Street was formerly Bleak Street and at the bottom was the Bleak inn public house. The houses ...

Bleak Hill Works, Cobridge

Bleak Hill works was at the bottom of Orgreave Street (previously named Bleak Street), off Waterloo Road. Warburton Street ran from left to right across the front of the works. Behind the works is the ...

Cobridge Brick & Marl Co fireclay pit off Scotia Road, Tunstall

The view north towards Tunstall over the Scotia Bank fireclay pit. The pit belonged to the Cobridge Brick & Marl Company. Their main site was alongside Leek Road, the pit east of Scotia Road was a second ...

Sandbach Road, Cobridge

This is a view southwards along Sandbach Road close to the North Road crossroads, with its traffic lights on amber. Beyond the junction on the right is the pottery of W. Moorcroft Ltd. with its bottle ...

St John's Square, Burslem

This is a view of the west side of St John's Square in Burslem taken from the corner of Wm Clowes Street. Newcastle Street and Market Place are off to the right hand edge. The square has along history, ...

Sneyd Colliery, burslem

The photograph was taken from the entrance to the colliery from Sneyd Terrace which was just off Moorland Road in the area that is now Lingard Street. The camera is looking south east towards the head ...

William Kent Porcelain, Glendale Street, Burslem.

The camera is looking along Glendale Street, off Waterloo Road, in Burslem. At the time of the photograph, Glendale Street was called Stoneley Street. At the bottom is the site of William Kent (Porcelain) ...

Wall of Saggars in Burslem

A wall of saggars between Oxley Road (named Howard Street until the 1950s) and Haywood Street in Burslem. Saggars were fireclay containers, mostly round, oval or oblong, used to protect pottery from spoiling ...

The George Hotel, Burslem

The George Hotel on the corner of Swan Square and Nile Street in Burslem. The present building dates from 1929. There has been an inn or pub on the site, named variously the George or George and Dragon, ...

The Wedgwood Institute, Queen Street, Burslem

This photograph shows the corner of the Wedgwood Institute on Queen Street and Clayhanger Street in Burslem. The institute is built on the site of the Brick House Works operated by Wedgwood from 1763 ...