Theme Explorer

Page 43 of 43 770 Records Found

Wharf Street, Longton. Photographed by William Blake

Children wait patiently to pick up small lumps of coal dropped by the coal merchants. Once bought by a merchant then dropped in transit the coal became fair game. Children would hurry the coal home for ...

Wharf Street, Longton. Photographed by William Blake.

Street scene taken at Wharf Street, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. This is possibly the best known image from the collection. Blake, in a library entry for the North Staffs Field Club, describes ...

What now for the Grand Commercial Canal? A document from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

During 1796, supporters of a scheme to build a new super canal in Staffordshire locked horns with the established businessmen of the Trent and Mersey Canal Company. The new canal The new canal was ...

White Swan Inn, Newport Lane, Middleport

The photograph shows the White Swan Inn at 107 Newport Lane, Middleport where there has been an inn or beerhouse since the 1830s. This building was originally two modest semi-detached houses, which had ...

Whitemore Farm, Congleton. Photographed by William Blake.

Landscape overlooking Whitemore Farm, Congleton, Cheshire.

Whitfield Colliery. Photographed by William Blake.

Lantern slide with a view of Chatterly Whitfield Colliery, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. This lantern slide appears to be one of a group used for a presentation or slide show by Blake entitled “Staffordshire ...

Whitmore troughs. Circa 1930.

A fine view of the water troughs at Whitmore level on the Stafford-Crewe section of the former London & North Western Railway Co metals. A mixed goods train speeds through, but not taking on water. ...

Who should pay for repairs to the Leek Road? A document from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

Burslem pottery manufacturer Enoch Wood acted as a Church Warden in Cobridge. In 1790, Parliament passed a new act that required a survey of Wood's parish to be undertaken. This was to find out ...

Wilkinson's Royal Staffordshire Pottery, Middleport

A J Wilkinson's Royal Staffordshire Pottery alongside the Trent & Mersey Canal in Middleport. The works originated as the Mersey Pottery, operated by Anthony Shaw from around 1860, becoming the property ...

Williamson Street, Tunstall

Looking east from Gibson Street towards Scotia Road. Right at the bottom, the bridge carrying the Potteries Loop Line is just visible. The ovens and building on the left belong to Henry Richard's Tiles ...

Winkle and Wood Colonial Pottery factory, Stoke-on-Trent

This picture of the Winkle and Wood Colonial Pottery factory on Whieldon Road, Stoke-on-Trent, was taken just prior to its demolition in September 1999. At the bottom of the building you can see a small ...

Winton Place, Stoke-on-Trent

Early motor cars park up outside the North Stafford Hotel in the early part of last century. The statue is of Josiah Wedgwood, the famous potter. The hotel and railway station opposite was built in ...

Wood's canal side pottery, Longport, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph shows the rear of Arthur Wood's pottery which was originally part of Longport Pottery. Longport Pottery dates from the 1770s and over time became a large works which occupied the east side ...

Wood's old pottery, Longport, Stoke-on-Trent

The camera is looking northwards along the Trent & Mersye Canl with Wood's old pottery on then right hand side. This was originally part of the larger Longport Pottery, dating from the 1770s, which was ...