Theme Explorer

Page 4 of 63 1126 Records Found

Band and Liners.

Pottery factory interior showing banders and liners decorating plates and saucers. Taken at Grosvenor China, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Banding was a form of decoration where a single band or several ...

Banding.

Pottery factory interior showing a row of banders decorating ware. They are painting enamel lines onto the ware using whirlers. Banding is the term for painting lines around ware using colour. The ...

Banding.

Pottery factory interior showing a man decorating a tea cup. He is painting a band around the lip of the cup using a whirler. This is commonly known as banding. Taken from the Gladstone Pottery ...

Bank Street, Tunstall

Bert Bentley, the photographer, described this as a typical Potteries scene with "a pottery works, kilns, chapel, colliery dirt tip and terraced houses". On the left is the United Methodist Chapel ...

Barker Brothers Ltd, Meir Works, Longton.

Barker Brothers (Ltd.), china and earthenware manufacturers, moved to the Meir Works on Barker Street in 1880-1882. The factory closed in 1981.

Barker Street , Longton

Photograph taken looking towards the north-west. St. James's Church is visible. St. James the Less Church on Uttoxeter Road, Longton. A Commissioners' Church built in 1832-34 to designs by T. Johnson ...

Barker Street, Longton

Photograph taken looking towards Barlow Street.

Barlow Street, Longton

Photograph taken from Sutherland Road, with St. James's church in the background.

Barlow Street, Longton

Photograph taken from Barker Street.

Barratts, Wedgwood Place, Burslem

This factory was constructed in 1819 but rebuilt in 1869. This photograph shows the arch over the main entrance comprising of a decorated keystone, inside which is a recessed stone panel with a stone ...

Bath Street, Stoke upon Trent

From Spark Terrace corner Bath Street runs steeply down to London Road. The van with the Michelin Man on the roof is parked outside the original Stoke Library building. The factory building at the bottom ...

Beardmore's old pottery, City Road, Fenton

This photograph was taken looking westwards from close to the corner of Fountain Street and City Road. On the left is Frank Beardmore's old Sutherland Pottery, dating from 1901, although the works had ...

Bedford Pottery Works, Shelton

The building in the photograph was once part of the Bedford Works of Ridgeway Potteries and this frontage is all that remains of the once extensive works. At its height the works ran down Bedford Street ...

Bedford Street Lock and Mellor's Millers on the Caldon Canal, Hanley

This photograph was taken from the Bedford Street Locks (locks 1 and 2) looking north along the Caldon Canal towards Mellor' Mills wharf and works. The canal bends sharply round to the left towards the ...

Bencroft Ltd., Heron Cross.

Pottery factory exterior including a bottle oven. Taken at Bencroft Ltd., Heron Cross Pottery, Chilton Street, Heron Cross, Stoke-on-Trent. Taken from the Gladstone Pottery Museum Photographic ...

Berry Hill Mines Rescue Station, Hanley

This was originally the pithead baths building of Berry Hill Colliery. The colliery closed in 1959 and the old baths were converted into the North Staffs Rescue Station, opening in 1962. The station had ...

Biddulph Valley and Victoria Colliery.

Victoria Colliery pictured from the tracks of the Biddulph Valley branch line. The aerial cable cars can be seen taking spoil to the 'slag heap'. The mine was owned by Robert Heath, who lived in nearby ...

Biddulph Valley Branch mineral railway at Milton Road, Stoke-on-Trent

A view north along the ex North Staffordshire Railway's Biddulph Valley Branch near Milton Road. Norton Colliery waste tip and the Ford Green Iron Works are the centre behind the line house. Much of the ...