Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 55 988 Records Found

Arthur Wood's canalside factory, Longport, Stoke-on-Trent

This is a view south along the canal. Westport Lake is off to the right, on the left is the rear of Wood's pottery. the buildings have all been cleared and the are now used for light industry and food ...

Ascot Pottery on Clough Street, Hanley

The Ascot Pottery was operated by Alcock, Lindley & Bloore, along with the neighbouring Vulcan Pottery on Clough Street. The factory opened in 1919 and the company became famous for "Brown Betty" teapots ...

Ashdale Pottery.

Pottery factory exterior including bottle ovens. Taken at Ashdale Pottery, Short Street, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. This view includes the North Staffs Electric Company. Taken from the Gladstone ...

Astra Pottery, 88-90 Harper Street, Burslem

This building is a two storey commercial pottery manufactory and was constructed in red flemish facing brick with a plain tile pitched roof. The first floor has a very large double door, iron lintel and ...

Aynsley china factory, Sutherland Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent

This plan is of the Aynsley China factory on Sutherland Road, which was built in 1861 and is still standing. Aynsley have been manufacturing pottery in Longton since 1775 and today produce a range of ...

Aynsley China Ltd. Portland Works, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph of Aynsley China's Portland Works in Sutherland Road, Longton was taken in 1975. Aynsley have been maufacturing pottery in Longton since 1775 and continue to produce a range of modern ...

Backstamping.

Pottery factory interior showing a female worker in the process of backstamping plates. The backstamp is the pottery maker's mark or logo. Taken at Alfred Meakin Ltd., Royal Albert Pottery, Tunstall, ...

Bagnall Street, Longton

The factories opposite the east end of St James's Church. Bagnall Street was renamed Chelson Street in the 1950s.

Bairstow's Pottery, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent

P E Bairstow & Co had their works in Mount Pleasant, in the area known as Tinkersclough. The company was founded at the end of the Second World War and initially produced bone china "Fancies Fayre". Later, ...

Baiting at the last firing, Sutherland Works, Longton

Pottery factory interior depicting volunteer Paul Nibblett 'baiting' or stoking fires at the Sutherland Works, Normacot Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. This was the last ever firing at the factory. Formed ...

Balmoral Works, Longton

Photograph taken from near the new railway bridge. The Balmoral Works were occupied by porcelain manufacturers Redfern & Drakeford between about 1902 and 1933.

Band and Liners.

Pottery factory interior showing banders and liners decorating plates and saucers. Taken at Grosvenor China, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Banding was a form of decoration where a single band or several ...

Banding.

Pottery factory interior showing a row of banders decorating ware. They are painting enamel lines onto the ware using whirlers. Banding is the term for painting lines around ware using colour. The ...

Banding.

Pottery factory interior showing a man decorating a tea cup. He is painting a band around the lip of the cup using a whirler. This is commonly known as banding. Taken from the Gladstone Pottery ...

Bank Street, Tunstall

Bert Bentley, the photographer, described this as a typical Potteries scene with "a pottery works, kilns, chapel, colliery dirt tip and terraced houses". On the left is the United Methodist Chapel ...

Barker Brothers Ltd, Meir Works, Longton.

Barker Brothers (Ltd.), china and earthenware manufacturers, moved to the Meir Works on Barker Street in 1880-1882. The factory closed in 1981.

Barker Street , Longton

Photograph taken looking towards the north-west. St. James's Church is visible. St. James the Less Church on Uttoxeter Road, Longton. A Commissioners' Church built in 1832-34 to designs by T. Johnson ...

Barker Street, Longton

Photograph taken looking towards Barlow Street.