Theme Explorer

Page 17 of 20 351 Records Found

T. Rowntree's New Invented Churn - Advertisement from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

A New Invention and some Bold Claims Advertisement for a new kind of milk churn consisting of two almost horizontal cylinders on a stand. The manufacturer explains the advantages of using this churn ...

The Alhambra Picture House, Normacot

The Alhambra picture house stood on Upper Normacot Road, closed in 1977, and stood derelict until it was demolished in 1994.

THE BATTLE OF VITTORIA - Broadside ballad from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

Celebrating good news in a song Sung to the tune or 'air' Hearts of Oak, this song celebrates Britian's fortunes in an overseas battle. Come cheer up! cheer up! Here's news from from old Spain Napoleon's ...

The Boulevard,Tunstall

The camera is looking east along The Boulevard (formerly Station Road) from just opposite the Memorial Gardens and Tunstall Library is the large building on the right. Greengates Street is off to the ...

The Broadway Cinema, Meir

A view of the Broadway Cinema on Uttoxeter Road, Meir. Art-deco in style, the cinema opened in 1936. It could seat over 1000 filmgoers and was on the Broadway Roundabout on Sandon Road. The site was close ...

The Chinese Temple, Biddulph Grange Gardens

This is a plan of the chinese temple at Biddulph Grange Gardens. The gardens were created in the mid 19th century by James Bateman to house his large plant collection. The chinese temple is only part ...

The Cock for a Tithing Parson - Broadside ballad from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

A political song set to the tune or 'air' The Cock of the Staffordshire Parson. The song describes an election campaign by a candidate the songwriter refers to as a Cock for a Tithing Parson. At ...

The Empire Theatre, Longton

The Chancery Lane side of the building. Built as the Queen's Theatre in 1896 after a fire had destroyed the previous building, the Empire was a theatre until 1921, when it was converted into a cinema. ...

The Empire Theatre, Longton

The Chancery Lane side of the building. Built as the Queen's Theatre in 1896 after a fire had destroyed the previous building, the Empire was a theatre until 1921, when it was converted into a cinema. ...

The Focus Cinema, Market Street, Longton

A view north west along Market Street, formerly High Street, Longton. The Focus Cinema is in the centre of the photograph and to its left the premises of Hughes and Harber, printers and publishers. The ...

The Great Wall Tower, Biddulph Grange Gardens

This plan is of the Great Wall tower at Biddulph Grange Gardens. The ornamental buildings were created as an integral part of the gardens by James Bateman, who set up the gardens in the mid 19th century ...

The Hippodrome Variety Theatre, Stoke.

The Hippodrome was built in Kingsway, Stoke in 1919. It instantly became a popular venue and also served as the Gordon Theatre & Opera House. Upon its closure in January 1961 it was the Gaumont cinema. ...

The Jolly Potters, A New Song - Broadside ballad from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

A song to celebrate Years of war between Britain and France had cut trade ties with continental Europe. To make matters worse, American ships had been caught up in the conflict - both sides had ...

The Matador of the Five Towns, by Arnold Bennett

This book cover design was produced in watercolour, perhaps by Arnold Bennett's friend E.McKnight Kauffer, who decorated his home at Chiltern Court, Marylebone. It was created for The Matador of the ...

The Miner's Arms, Packmoor?

View of the bar on permanant display in the local history gallery at The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery. The display is a recreation of a Victorian bar room in Tunstall. However, residents of the ...

The old library and museum buildings in Pall Mall, Hanley

A view down Pall Mall towards the Piccadilly crossroads with the old library, art gallery and museum on the left. Closest to the camera is the original City Library which itself was originally a school ...

The pavilion and bowling green at West End recreation ground, Penkhull

West End recreation ground was at the end of Bakewell Street (formerly Turner Street). Administered by Stoke on Trent City Parks Department it had tennis courts, a bowling green, pavilions and a children's ...

The Royal Cinema, Manor Street, Fenton

The Royal Cinema building stands in Manor Street, just off City Road in Fenton. Opened in 1913, it closed as a cinema in 1960 before becoming a nightclub for a short period. At its peak it could seat ...