Latest Additions To The Site

Page 6 of 56 1000 Records Found

Brickhouse Street, Burslem

The photograph shows the narrow alleyway at the Market Place end of Brickhouse Street, which connects Queen Street with Market Place in Burslem. It runs alongside the Wedgwood Institute. The Bookmaker's ...

Classroom, Brownhills High School, Burslem

A typical 1950s classroom. The photograph is of an unidentified 5th form. The original Brownhills Hall School opened in 1927 as an all girls' college, became a grammar school, was completely rebuilt in ...

Stone Road, Longton

The recreation ground in the process of construction.

Leveson Street, Longton

A view of Leveson Street in Longton, a side-street off Trentham Road, taken during the demolition of Ladycote Terrace.

Village store and coffee house, Oakamoor

During the 1890s, this building doubled as both a village store and coffee house, serving the village of Oakamoor. It must have been quite a novelty for such a small village to have a coffee house; ...

Fenton Engineering Technical School

The Honours List at the former Athenaeum building, covering the years 1914 to 1925. Fenton School of Art was set up in 1889 by William Meath Baker in the old Fenton Athenaeum, which had been opened in ...

Queen's Cinema Palace, Jupiter Street. Smallthorne, Stoke-on-Trent

This cinema was on the north side of Jupiter Street (formerly King Street South) near the corner of Mars Street, just off Ford Green Road. Around the time this photograph was taken, the Palace became ...

Building the City Central Library, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph was taken during the early stages of the building of the City Central Library and Archives in Bethesda Street. On the left is the chimney attached to the boiler house and on the right ...

City Central Library and Art Gallery & Museum, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph is looking over the foundations of the City Central Library and Archives building towards the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery. This photograph was taken in 1968, before the museum building ...

Fireclay pit off Waterloo Road, Cobridge

A typical North Staffordshire "heaps 'n holes" photograph from the 1960s. The pit belonged to the Brookfield Brick and Saggar Works, dating from the 1870s, and behind is a spoil tip from Hanley Deep Pit ...

Bert and George Procter, Gladstone China, Longton

Photograph of Bernard, known as Bert (seated), and George Procter, his son, pictured in the Office at Gladstone China, Uttoxeter Road, Longton. The office was described as 'bare and grimy.' The Procter ...

Enson Pottery Works, Longton

This is the Enson Pottery works sited between Chelson Street (formerly Bagnall Street) and Short Street in Longton. The works is just off Normacot Road. The buildings in the photograph date from the middle ...

Oliver Road and the old St Peter's School, Penkhull

Looking east along Oliver Road from just off Hilton Road. In the background are the recent buildings of St Peter's School, which was on Queen's Road in Penkhull. The school closed in 2011 and lay empty ...

St. Margaret's Church, Draycott-in-the-Moors

Church interior taken at St. Margaret's Church, Church Lane, Draycott, Staffordshire. The church appears to be decorated for a celebration of some kind. Photographed by William Blake of Longton

The price of straw - Document from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

One matter of special concern to pottery manufacturers was the rising price of the straw used to package their wares. Here, Chairman of the Staffordshire Potters, Ambrose Smith, announces that they will ...

Agreement on the price of straw - from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

While pottery manufacturers could agree on a standard list of prices for their wares, the cost of packaging was less predictable. In this agreement, local manufacturers complain of the "loss and detriment" ...

Aquinas Street, Stoke upon Trent

View from near the top of Aquinas Street down towards Epworth Street and the centre of Stoke. Aquinas Street was originally called Thomas Street. Behind the wall beyond the houses on the left was a large ...

Heybridge, Lower Tean

Samuel Philips (died 1824) bought Heybridge in about 1813 and greatly extended an existing stone built farmhouse. Samuel was part of the J. & N. Phillips textile business who owned nearby Tean Hall Mills. ...