Latest Additions To The Site

Page 53 of 56 1000 Records Found

Wedgwood's Etruria works, Stoke-on-Trent

Etruria Works was opened by Josiah Wedgwood in 1769, replacing the Ivy House and Brick House Works in Burslem. Built on the route of the Trent & Mersey Canal, just where it would be crossed by the Newcastle ...

Shelton Steel Works from Basford Bank, Stoke-on-Trent

This is the view along Etruria Road near the bottom of Basford Bank, looking towards Shelton Steel works. Behind are the spoil tips of the Shelton and Racecourse Collieries. Wedgwood's Etruria Hall ...

The bottom of Basford Bank, Stoke-on-Trent

Looking northwards from Etruria Road close to the bottom of Basford Bank towards Wolstanton Colliery. On the skyline are the houses in May Bank, built from the 1920s onwards. The foreground is a jumble ...

Sackville Street, Etruria Road, Basford, Stoke-on-Trent

Sackville Street was known as Bedford Street until the large scale renaming of streets in the 1950s. The large terraced houses were built mostly in the 1890s. On the right is the Davenport's off licence. ...

Looking over the Potteries from Hartshill Bank

This was the view north east from the top of Hartshill Bank (at the bottom of Vicarage Road). The lower land in the foreground is the Fowlea Brook valley with the main railway line running across. Immediately ...

Hacienda Villa, Gladstone Street, Basford, Stoke-on-Trent

Gladstone Street runs south off Etruria Road. The northern end was developed for housing between 1880 and 1900. The houses at the southern end date from the 1920. Hacienda Villa, number 25 Gladstone Street, ...

Etruria Road, Stoke-on-Trent

The camera is looking westwards along Etruria Road before the dual carriageway (A53) was built. This is the line of Etruria Old Road. On the right is the front of Wedgwood's Etruria works with the lanthorn ...

Etruria Hall

The view northwards from the Trent & Mersey Canal with Etruria Hall in the centre and Shelton Steel works to the left. Behind the hall are the spoil heaps of Shelton and Racecourse Collieries. This photograph ...

Etruria Hall

The front elevation of Etruria Hall. The central part of the building was built between 1768 and 1771 for Josiah Wedgwood and his family. From his office Wedgwood could look over towards the Trent & Mersey ...

Dominic Street, Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent

Dominic Street runs east off Richmond Street in Hartshill. Until the 1950s it was known as Gordon Street. The houses at the top ends of the street date from the early 1900s, those at the bottom around ...

A view up Basford Bank, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph was taken looking up Etruria Road from close to the junction with Basford Park Road. Sackville Street is off to the left just by the Davenport's off-licence. This road formed part of the ...

Wedgwood's Etruria Factory, Stoke-on-Trent

Josiah Wedgwood's Etruria Works opened in 1769. Importantly, the factory was built on land that Wedgwood knew lay on the route of the proposed Trent & Mersey Canal which was opened in 1777. The factory ...

Trent & Mersey Summit Lock, Etruria.

The summit lock (lock 40) and toll charge office on the Trent & Mersey Canal at Etruria. The lock is at the junction of the Caldon and Trent & Mersey Canals, just over 400 feet above sea level. Here the ...

Wedgwood fountain in Etruria Park, Stoke-on-Trent

This is the memorial to Josiah Wedgwood in Etruria Park. The park was opened in 1904, almost opposite Josiah Wedgwood's Etruria Works. The memorial is a drinking fountain, presented by the Shirley brothers, ...

Twyford's Etruria Works, Garner Street, Stoke-on-Trent

Built in 1912 and modernised in the 1950s, the Etruria Works was just a mile from Twyford's main site in Cliffe Vale. In the background are the holders of Etruria Gas works, the wall in the foreground ...

Twyford's Etruria Works, Garner Street, Stoke-on-Trent

This is Twyford's Etruria Works on Garner Street, built in 1912, extended and modernised in the 1950s. The factory was built as an addition to Twyford's Cliffe Vale works, less than 1 mile away. It occupied ...

Trent an Mersey Canal at Twyford's Cliffe Vale works, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph is looking north along the Trent & Mersey Canal alongside Twyford's Cliffe Vale Works. The bridge in the centre carries Shelton New Road (previously called Newcastle Road) over the canal. ...

The Potteries Loop Line between Hanley and Etruria, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph was taken looking west from the Josiah Wedgwood Street railway bridge along the Loop Line between Hanley and Etruria. This section of the Loop Line was opened in the early 1860s. The road ...