Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 7 109 Records Found

Hanley Station

Hanley station was on a sharp curve in a deep cutting just below Trinity Street, opposite the Grand Hotel. This is the view looking westwards along the line to Etruria. This was the second station ...

Hanley Station

Hanley Station was just north of Trinity Street, alongside the old Grand Hotel. This the second Hanley Station, built when the loop line was extended to Burslem in 1873. The first was just south of Trinity ...

Harecastle railway tunnel from Hollywall Lane, Tunstall

Looking westwards from Hollywall Lane towards the southern entrance of the Harecastle railway tunnels (immediately behind the first pylon). On the skyline to the right is the pillar of the Wedgwood Monument ...

Hartshill railway station, Stoke-on-Trent

A photograph taken from a wagon in the siding at Hartshill and Basford Halt. The camera is looking west towards the mouth of the tunnel taking the line to Newcastle. The station, opened in 1905, was on ...

J Hewitt Sons works, Fenton.

Joseph Hewitt & Co. operated the Fenton Low Brick and Marl work was alongside the Biddulph Valley and Leek branch of the old North Staffordshire Railway. The line opened in 1859 and was finally closed ...

Knotty Rail Motor

Early attempts at motorising the railways met with varying degrees of success. Built by Beyer & Peacock, the Knotty Rail Motor combined a locomotive and carriage in one unit. The North Staffordshire ...

Leek New Road at Daisy Bank Bridge, Stoke-on-Trent

Looking south west from close to the Daisy Bank Bridge along the A53 (Leek New Road) with Sneyd Green to the left and Holden Bridge in the centre distance. The photograph was taken from near Bellerton ...

Leek Road, Hanley

This photograph was taken from the Heath House Lane bridge over the Stoke to Leek and Biddulph branch line. The camera is looking south in what Bert Bentley described as "putrid light". On the left is ...

Level crossing on the Birches Head Road, Stoke-on-Trent

Level Crossing and crossing house at Birches Head Road on the Biddulph Vlalley/Stoke to Leek branch line. The camera is looking south. Birches Head road was known as Horse Lane until the 1920s. The Caldon ...

Locomotive, possibly at Meir

A 2-4-0 engine with a train of second and third class carriages on the Stoke to Derby line, possibly at Meir station circa 1900. This image is featured by kind permission of the Churnet Valley Railway....

Longport Station, Stoke-on-Trent

Longport Station was opened by the North Staffordshire Railway in 1848 but was named Burslem station. It became Longport in 1873 when Burslem station on the Loop Line opened. This is the view north from ...

Longton Railway Station

Longton railway station looking east towards the iron bridge crossing the north end of Times Square. The station lies on the Crewe to Derby via Stoke line and was opened as part of the North Staffordshire ...

Longton Railway Station

An aerial photograph taken on the 22 September 1961 from the top of Harvey’s chimney shows a steam locomotive leaving Longton Railway Station. Longton Station opened on the Crewe-Derby line of the North ...

Longton Station

The Phoenix Pottery Works seen from the platform of Longton Station, looking west towards Fenton. Phoenix Pottery was operated by Thomas Forester, specialising in majolica, from the 1880s. The chimney ...

Longton Station and the Phoenix Works, Longton

Longton Station in the foreground with the old Phoenix Pottery building behind and the tower of St John The Baptist Church (demolished in 1979) beyond that. The station, opened in 1848, is on an embankment. ...

Longton Station, Baths Road, Longton

Longton Station was opened in August 1848 and stood on the Crewe-Derby line of the North Staffordshire Railway.

Milton Station, Stoke-on-Trent

The view north long the railway from the single platform of Milton Station towards the bridge carrying Leek New Road (A53) over the line. This is the old North Staffordshire Railway branch line from Stoke ...

Mixed goods passing Norton Bridge

This photograph shows a LNWR 4-6-0 engine hauling a rake of mixed goods in the vicinity of Norton Bridge on the "down" Stafford to Crewe line. This image is featured by kind permission of the Churnet ...