Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 4 59 Records Found

Providence Methodist Church, Far Green, Hanley

The Providence Chapel stood on Providence Square at the junction of Town Road and Hulton Street in the Far Green area of Hanley. In the photograph, Birches Head Road climbs away on the left hand side. ...

Quaker Chapel, Aquinas Street, Stoke-on-Trent

The Society of Friends (Quakers) occupied the former Congregational Chapel in Aquinas Street (previously Thomas Street) from the 1850s. This side of the chapel is the entrance to the Society of Friends ...

Resevoir Field, Normacot

The Iron Chapel can be seen on Meir Road, but this photograph pre-dates Christ Church which was built the following year. The Methodist iron chapel can be seen, far right. This chapel was built in ...

Ruxley Road Methodist Chapel, Bucknall

Ruxley Road Methodist Chapel at the corner with Corneville Road. The brick built chapel was completed in 1891 with an adjoining Sunday School. The houses in this part of Townsend date from the 1900s. ...

Salvation Army Citadel, Tunstall

The Salvation Army Citadel stood on the corner of Ladywell Road (formerly Sneyd Street) and Harewood Street. The building was originally Tunstall's first theatre (The Prince of Wales), opened in 1865. ...

Shelton Cemetery Chapel, Cemetery Road, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent

This plan is of Shelton Cemetery Chapel on Cemetery Road. The building was erected in 1860 and is actually comprised of two chapels: one for Church of England followers and the other for non-conformist ...

St John Street Chapel, Hanley

St John Street runs north - south between Broom Street and Upper Huntbach Street. The chapel is close to the southern end. St John Street Chapel started life as a Welsh Presbyterian or Calvinist Methodist ...

St Michael's Anglican Mission Church, Bucknall Old Road, Hanley

The brick built St Michael and All Saints Mission Church was opened around 1912. It was a mission church of St Luke's in the Wellington area of Hanley. It stood on Bucknall Old Road just before the junction ...

Starland Bingo Hall, Leek Road, Abbey Hulton

The Starland bingo hall on Leek Road opposite Abbots Road, was formerly a cinema. Since 2009 the building has been occupied by Campus City Breathe City Church. Formerly known as The Abbey Cinema, it opened ...

Swan Square, Burslem

Swan Square in Burslem from Market Place. Waterloo Road carries on mistily from Swan Square towards Cobridge and Hanley. Moorland Road is off to the left. The two large buildings on the left are the ...

Swedenborgian Church, Foley Street, Fenton

The corrugated iron chapel was in Foley Street, on the corner of Packett Street. The camera is looking north along Foley Street. The Swedenborgian or New Church movement started in the United Kingdom ...

The Bourne Chapel, Stone Road, Longton

The Bourne Methodist Chapel was built in Lightwood (formerly Stone) Road. Bourne Chapel was still in use in 1958.

The Chatterley Whitfield mineral line bridge in Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent

The camera is looking north along Chell Heath Road towards Oxford Road in Fegg Hayes. The bridge is carrying the mineral railway from Chatterley Whitfield Colliery (off to the right) into Tunstall and ...

The District Bank building, Trentham Road, Trentham

The District Bank building stood at the junction of Barlaston Old Road and Trentham Road. The Italianate style building later became a branch of Nat West Bank. Behind to the right is Trentham Methodist ...

The Iron Chapel, Meir Road, Normacot.

The shadow of Christ Church (which had been built the previous year) can be seen on the road. The Methodist iron chapel can be seen, far right. This chapel was built in 1880. It was known locally ...

The New Jerusalem Chapel (Swedenborgian), Longton.

The chapel stood at the corner of Park Hall Street and Bridgwood Street. It was built by 1865 and was out of use by the 1890s.

The Strand, Longton

The view along the Strand towards the railway bridge and Times Square, with the Crown Hotel building behind, taken from close to the corner of Heathcote Road. On the left hand edge is the entrance to ...

Town Road from Market Square, Hanley

The camera is looking north along Town Road from the edge of Market Square. Today this is the entrance to the Potteries Shopping Centre. The shop on the left is Sherwin's Music Store which everything ...