Theme Explorer

Page 23 of 23 413 Records Found

Victoria Square and St Mark's Church, Shelton

The camera is looking southwards along Broad Street from near the top of Victoria Square. St Mark's Church, with its 120 foot tower, is the largest church in the city. It was built in the 1830s to serve ...

View over Longton from Ashwood area.

A view almost due south from Ashwood towards the centre of Longton with the tower of St James The Less church in the centre of the photograph. Longton town centre lies to the right. Immediately to the ...

View towards Tunstall from the top of The Sytch, Burslem

The Sytch was the hill up to Burslem from Brownhills. The photograph is looking north east with Westport Road (formerly Liverpool Road) in the foreground. What is now Federation Road would be going off ...

Watery Lane, Normacot

Photograph taken looking north, the church of Holy Evangelists can be seen in the distance. The Church of Holy Evangelists was built in 1847. It was designed by George Gilbert Scott, and paid for by ...

Webberley Lane, Longton

Photograph taken looking north-east up Webberley Lane. St. James's school, which became Tawney House, can be seen on the left.

Wesley Methodist Chapel, Epworth Street, Stoke

This is a plan of the Wesley Methodist chapel on Epworth Street. The methodist movement had a strong following in Stoke-on-Trent and Wesleyan chapels were built in many of the city's towns. Epworth Street ...

Wesleyan Chapel, Brammer Street, Bradeley

This chapel has a plaque above the door reading 'Wesleyan 1884'. Either side of the door are two rectangular windows, each with a stone plaque underneath. The inscriptions read: 'Laid by Mr C F H Bowers. ...

Wesleyan Chapel. Photographed by William Blake.

Church interior taken at the Wesleyan Chapel, Stafford Street, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Stafford Street is now known as the Strand. Blake's shop was situated on this street.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Goldenhill, Stoke-on-Trent

The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, built in 1868, was on High Street, Goldenhill. It replaced a smaller, earlier chapel and could seat over 500. The red brick building which stood close to the corner with ...

Wesleyan Methodist Church, 69 Epworth Street, Stoke

Epworth Street was previously named Cross Street until 1912. The datestone in this building shows that it was constructed in 1816. A Wesleyan Chapel is an early Methodist Chapel. John Wesley, an Anglican ...

Wetley Rocks Church. Photographed by William Blake.

Church exterior with a view of Wetley Rocks Church, Nr. Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Wetley Rocks Church. Photographed by William Blake.

Church exterior with a view of Wetley Rocks Church, Nr. Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Where Arrows Were Sharpened, Checkley. Photographed by William Blake.

Church detail taken at St. Mary & All Saints Church, Church Lane, Checkley, Staffordshire. The stonework has markings that were made by people sharpening arrow heads on it. This buttress is in the ...

Woodall Memorial Congregational Church, Moorland Road, Burslem

Woodall Memorial Congregational Church was built in 1905 and is presently used as a United Reform Church. It has two storeys and is three rooms wide and five rooms deep. The front of the building has ...

Zion Chapel, Longton. Photographed by William Blake.

Church interior taken at the Zion Chapel, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Zion Methodist Chapel. Photographed by William Blake.

Church interior taken at Zion Methodist Chapel, Commerce Street, Longton, Staffordshire.

Zion Methodist Church, Endon Road, Norton Green

This extension to the Zion Methodist Church was constructed 15 years later than the original building. The datestone on the gable reads: 'Zion Primitive Methodist A.D. 1871.'