Latest Additions To The Site

Page 2 of 56 1000 Records Found

The Spitfire, Bethesda Street, Hanley

The temporary "greenhouse" being built to house the Spitfire RW 388 outside the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery in Bethesda Street. This aircraft was manufactured in Castle Bromwich in 1945. Mounted ...

Official opening of the Spitfire display, Bethesda Street, Hanley

The "greenhouse" on Bethesda Street housed a Mk XVI Spitfire RW 388. Designed by Butt Lane born engineer, R J Mitchell, the Spitfire was built in 1945 and served with the RAF. This photograph was taken ...

Sacred Heart Church, Jasper Street, Hanley

The Church of the Sacred Heart stands on the corner of Downey Street and Jasper Street south of the centre of Hanley. It is a large nineteenth century brick Gothic style building which occupies the whole ...

Ovens at New Hall Pottery, Hanley

The courtyard of the New Hall Pottery seen from Hope Street, with the line of enclosed bottle ovens and the bottom of the factory chimney, on the left. The works fronted onto York Street and New Hall ...

Johnson's Potteries, Hanley

The three ovens belong to Johnson's Trent sanitaryware works on Eastwood Road in Hanley. To the right, the factory with the tower is Johnson's Hanley pottery. In the foreground is the company's sports ...

Howson's Pottery on the Caldon Canal, Hanley

This photograph shows the rear of G. Howson's Eastwood pottery works on the Caldon Canal. George Howson's produced sanitary ware in Hanley between 1867 and 1966, when then factory was sold to Armitage ...

Electrical Ordnance Accessories Ltd Havelock Works, Hanley

Havelock Works stood at the corner of Broad Street and Robson Street in Hanley. This photograph was taken from Broad Street. The company was part of Vickers Ltd and manufactured porcelain insulators for ...

City Central Library and Art Gallery & Museum, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph is looking over the foundations of the City Central Library and Archives building towards the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery. This photograph was taken in 1968, before the museum building ...

Burton Place, Hanley

The building on the right was occupied in the 1960s by Foulkes, building and decorating materials suppliers but had previously been a pottery. From the early 1920s until 1937, this was part of the Corona ...

Building the City Central Library, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph was taken during the early stages of the building of the City Central Library and Archives in Bethesda Street. On the left is the chimney attached to the boiler house and on the right ...

The Spitfire, Bethesda Street, Hanley

The temporary display "greenhouse" for the Mk XVI Spitfire under construction in early 1972. This Spitfire RW 388 was designed by R J Mitchell and served with the RAF towards the end of the Second World ...

48 Broad Street, Hanley

In the 1960s, number 48 Broad Street was occupied by Gestetner, a company that manufactured duplication and reproducing machines in the days before photocopiers. Gestetnering involved making a stencil ...

New Hall Pottery, Hanley

The photograph shows the entrance to the showroom and offices for the New Hall Pottery in New Hall Street, Hanley. The bulk of the manufactory is behind this building, on York Street. This building was ...

Howson's bottle ovens, Eastwood Works, Hanley

George Howson & Sons were manufacturers of sanitary ware at the Eastwood Works in Hanley. The company started in the 1860s and was finally sold to Armitage Shanks in 1966. The photograph shows the bottle ...

St Bernadette's Church, Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent

St Bernadette's Church and Church Hall stand on the corner of Heskin Way and Fegg Hayes Road. The church and hall were built in 1962, when a new parish was created from Sacred Heart in Tunstall, to serve ...

Fegg Hayes House, Stoke-on-Trent

Fegg Hayes House stood off Fegg Hayes Road. Bert Bentley recorded it as the one time home of "a Mrs Beswick (potter)".

Burnwood County Junior School, Tunstall

This photograph was taken from Springbank Road. The school stood at the corner of Springbank Road and Chell Heath Road. The school has been closed and demolished. The site is now housing.

Berry Hill Mines Rescue Station, Hanley

This was originally the pithead baths building of Berry Hill Colliery. The colliery closed in 1959 and the old baths were converted into the North Staffs Rescue Station, opening in 1962. The station had ...