Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 61 1082 Records Found

Ash Tray

Glazed Stoneware. H. 3.8 x W.7.9 cm. Small stoneware ash tray, thrown and turned by Katharine Pleydell-Bouverie at Cole Pottery. Green thorn ash glaze on the interior, the exterior is unglazed with ...

Backstamp

Gladstone China backstamp.

Bagnall Street, Longton

The factories opposite the east end of St James's Church. Bagnall Street was renamed Chelson Street in the 1950s.

Bairstow's Pottery, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent

P E Bairstow & Co had their works in Mount Pleasant, in the area known as Tinkersclough. The company was founded at the end of the Second World War and initially produced bone china "Fancies Fayre". Later, ...

Balmoral Works, Longton

Photograph taken from near the new railway bridge. The Balmoral Works were occupied by porcelain manufacturers Redfern & Drakeford between about 1902 and 1933.

Banded decorated jug and bowls

Earthenware jug and bowls. Height of jug 110mm. Banding was used either on its own or in conjunction with other types of decoration. A slip-bottle was filled with slip and the opening sealed with a ...

Bank Street, Tunstall

Bert Bentley, the photographer, described this as a typical Potteries scene with "a pottery works, kilns, chapel, colliery dirt tip and terraced houses". On the left is the United Methodist Chapel ...

Bank Street, Tunstall

Looking north east along Bank Street from close to the corner with Hawes Street (formerly Upper Mount Street). In the far distance is the waste tip of Whitfield Colliery. Towards the bottom of the street, ...

Barker Brothers Ltd, Meir Works, Longton.

Barker Brothers (Ltd.), china and earthenware manufacturers, moved to the Meir Works on Barker Street in 1880-1882. The factory closed in 1981.

Bath Street, Stoke upon Trent

From Spark Terrace corner Bath Street runs steeply down to London Road. The van with the Michelin Man on the roof is parked outside the original Stoke Library building. The factory building at the bottom ...

Beaker

Grete Marks 1899 - 1990. Beaker. 1984.P.726 1937-1940 Over glaze painted earthenware H : 75 mm. Earthenware beaker. Decorated with a semi-matt glaze and an over glaze painted design. With moulded ...

Bedford Pottery Works, Shelton

The building in the photograph was once part of the Bedford Works of Ridgeway Potteries and this frontage is all that remains of the once extensive works. At its height the works ran down Bedford Street ...

Beswick vase

Vase designed by John Beswick. J.W. Beswick was founded in about 1892 by James Wright Beswick and his sons John and Gilbert. From 1896 it operated from the Gold Street Works in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. ...

Billy Waters figure

Earthenware over-glaze painted figure and undecorated figure . Height of tallest figure 210mm. Billy Waters (died 1823) was a beggar with a peg leg who earned a living playing a fiddle in London's ...

Bilton's Pottery, Foden Street, Stoke-on-Trent

A view of the side of Bilton's Pottery in Foden Street, Boothen, Stoke-on-Trent. The photographer (Bert Bentley) captioned the photo "Potters at lunch break". Are there cricketers in their whites? The ...

Biscuit barrel

Biscuit barrel by Staffordshire Potteries. Staffordshire Potteries were formed in 1950 out of the Keele Street Pottery Group. They made mugs, kitchen and dinner ware at their factory on the former Meir ...

'Bizarre' bowl

Clarice Cliff 1889-1972. Bowl. 1978.P.39. 1928-1930. Over glaze painted earthenware. D : 210 mm, H : 94mm. Earthenware bowl. Decorated with over glaze painted geometric pattern. This was one of ...

Bleak Hill Works, Cobridge

Bleak Hill works was at the bottom of Orgreave Street (previously named Bleak Street), off Waterloo Road. Warburton Street ran from left to right across the front of the works. Behind the works is the ...