Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 3 52 Records Found

Howlett's Firecaly pit, Cobridge

In the foreground is Howlett's fireclay pit and behind the lower slopes of Hanley Deep Pit spoil tip. The Bassey Mine Coal seam outcrops in the fireclay pit and was being worked alongside the clay. The ...

J Hewitt Sons works, Fenton.

Joseph Hewitt & Co. operated the Fenton Low Brick and Marl work was alongside the Biddulph Valley and Leek branch of the old North Staffordshire Railway. The line opened in 1859 and was finally closed ...

Looking towards Burslem from the Ravensdale area

The camera is looking south east towards Burslem from west of the main railway line at the end of Ravensdale Lane. The water surface of Westport Lake is visible in the left centre with the towers of Talke ...

Looking towards the west from Little Chell Lane, Little Chell

The camera is pointing northwest from the top of Little Chell Lane. The buildings on the right are William Southerne Catholic Secondary School (now St Margaret Ward Academy) and the houses in the foreground ...

Marl pit at John Caddick's Spoutfield Brick and Tile Works, Stoke-on-Trent

This marl pit supplied clay for John Caddick's Spoutfield Brick and Tile Works on Brick Kiln Lane. Red brick clay in this area is called Etruria Marl and was extracted by opencast mining and the big holes ...

Marl pit, Trent Vale Brick & Tile Company, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph shows a section of the marl pit belonging to the Trent Vale Brick & Tile Co. This is a view from the Rookery Lane area. The pit yielded Etruria Marl, a brick clay, usually extracted by ...

North Street, Stoke-on-Trent

A view along North Street from the entrance to the railway goods yard. To the left is Cliff Vale Terrace (now part of North Street) with the light of the goods yard to the right. This is now the route ...

Oldfield's Brick Works, Fenton

The photograph shows the fireclay marl pit at Oldfield's brick works, east of Duke Street in the Lane Delph area of Fenton. At the time of the photograph, the pit was being filled in. There was a ...

Oldfield's brickworks, Fenton

Oldfield's fireclay pit off Duke Street in Fenton. The Bassey Mine Ironstone and Peacock Coal seams outcrop in the pit. These rocks are part of the Coal Measures of the North Staffordshire Coalfield. ...

Oldfield's Brickworks, Fenton

The brick kilns and their chimneys at Oldfield's brickworks off Duke Street in Fenton. In the foreground is the fireclay pit. The camera is looking eastwards towards Longton with the houses in Holly Bush ...

Oldfield's fireclay pit and brickworks, Fenton

Oldfield's fireclay pit and brickworks was off Duke Street in Fenton. Originally the brickworks and associated colliery was operated by Balfour & Coin from the 1880s. The colliery closed in the 1890s ...

Peake's Clay pit and shraff tip, Tunstall

The view is from the Roylance Street/Audley Street area looking northwest across Peake's old marl pit. To the right are the backs of the terraced houses at the western end of Nash-Peake Street. Thomas ...

Purbeck Street, Cobridge

The view along Purbeck Street (previously named George Street) from the corner with Leek New Road. There was a row of 16 terraced houses on the north side, with the brickworks of the Cobridge Brick & ...

Ready-mix concrete work, Tunstall

J Batholomew & sons ready-mix concrete works off Nash Peake Street in Tunstall. This was the central depot.The local area provided much of the raw material: sand from the Tean area and gravel from Adderley ...

Rebuilding a beehive oven, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph shows an intermittent coal fired beehive oven in the process of rebuilding and refurbishment. The kiln was at John Caddick & Sons' Spoutfield brick and tile works on the corner of Brick ...

Slater's Brickworks and Sanitary Ware, Stoke-on-Trent

Johnson and Slater was formed in 1935 to operate the Berry Hill brickworks and Slater's sanitary ware works (Berry Hill Potteries). The works were to the south and west of the fireclay pit. On the right ...

Slater's Fireclay Pit, Berry Hill, Stoke-on-Trent

The fireclay pit or marl hole was part of Berry Hill brickworks (also known as Slater's fireclay pit) and linked to the nearby Berry Hill collieries. John Slater purchased the colliery in 1914 and the ...

Sneyd Brickworks Company's fireclay pit, Burslem

The fireclay pit was north of Bycars Lane. This photograph was taken at the north of the pit, just south of Haywood Road. The Etruria Marl from this pit was used to make firebricks, although Sneyd Brickworks ...