Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 4 59 Records Found

Hall Street, Burslem

View south along Hall Street from Westport Road towards St Paul's churchyard at the bottom of the hill. The tower on the left belongs to the Roman Catholic Church of St. Joseph, a Grade II listed building. ...

Hanley Salvation Army Citadel, Glass Street, Hanley

The Salvation Army Citadel stands in Glass Street in Hanley. Opened in 1903, this building is the third of the Salvation Army's Hanley places of worship. The buildings closer to the camera belonged to ...

Hanley Tabernacle, Town Road, Hanley

The Congregational Independent Tabernacle Church was founded in Hanley in 1784, a Mission Hall was built in 1879 and the church in the photograph built on Town Road (then known as High Street) in 1883. ...

Ladywell Road, Tunstall

At the time of the photograph, this was the eastern end of Sneyd Street, which was renamed Ladywell Road in the 1950s. The photograph was taken looking north west near the corner of Wesley Street. On ...

Lascelles Street, Tunstall

This is the view looking east along Lascelles Street (formerly known as Victoria Terrace) towards High Street in Tunstall. The building on the right was a Methodist New Connexion Chapel built in 1857. ...

Lightwood Chapel, Lightwood Road, Lightwood

Photograph taken looking South. Lightwood Methodist Chapel was built in 1816. The later Sunday school building can also be seen.

Lonsdale Street Methodist Chapel, Stoke-on-Trent

Lonsdale Primitive Methodist Chapel stood on the corner of Lonsdale Street and Woodhouse Street in Stoke. The building has been demolished and the site used as offices. The chapel dates from 1878.

Meir Road, Normacot

Photograph taken from 181 Meir Road. Christ Church is pictured. Note the road surfacing in progress.

Meir Road, Normacot

The Methodist iron chapel can be seen, far right. This chapel was built in 1880. It was known locally as the 'tin chapel'. It later formed part of the Sunday school until 1960, when it was destroyed ...

Meir Road, Normacot

Photograph taken from 181 Meir Road. Construction on Christ Church has just commenced - note the scaffolding poles. The occasion is possibily the laying of the foundation stone. the banner across the ...

Methodist Central Hall, Longton

This is the main entrance to Methodist Central Hall on the Strand (previously Stafford Street) in Longton. Methodism dates back to the 1780s in Longton, by 1842 a large chapel had been built in Stafford ...

Mount Tabor Methodist Chapel, King Street, Fenton

The Mount Tabor Methodist Chapel in the photograph stood on Market Street (now King Street) in Fenton. The gothic style chapel dates from 1869 replacing a smaller chapel built in 1811. The rebuilt chapel ...

Norton Green Primative Methodist Chapel

This plan is of the primative methodist chapel at Norton Green, Stoke-on-Trent. Primative methodism began in North Staffordshire with the first open air meeting taking place at Mow Cop in 1807. Diagrams ...

Old Methodist Chapel, Canning Street, Fenton

This Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1873 but by the time the photograph was taken it was in use as a store room for the nearby Sterling Pottery. The buildings to the right belonged to the Victoria ...

Old Zion Chapel schoolroom, Longton

The schoolroom stood close to Lockett's factory. Photograph taken from by the Empire Theatre.

Portrait bust of John Wesley

Pearlware painted portrait bust. Height 320mm Revd. John Wesley (1703-1791) was an evangelist and the leader of Methodism. Originally a high churchman, he experienced a dramatic conversion and in 1738 ...

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lonsdale Street, Stoke upon Trent

Lonsdale Primitive Methodist Chapel was opened in 1878, replacing an earlier and smaller chapel in Queen Street. It was located at the corner of Lonsdale Street and Woodhouse Street. It was to perform ...

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Mayne Street, Hanford

Hanford Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1883. The red brick building had seating for over 80. The chapel was on the west side of Mayne Street but has been demolished to make way for housing.