Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 5 86 Records Found

Edensor Old Church, Longton

This is the east end of Edensor old church. The church and surrounding graveyard was founded in 1854. At the time of the photograph it had been deconsecrated and was used as a warehouse. The church was ...

Hartshill from North Street, Stoke-on-Trent

This is a view southwards from the floor of the Fowlea Brook valley and North Street towards Holy Trinity Church, Hartshill. The line of houses running across in front of the church is Minton Street, ...

Heath's Passage, Longton

Photograph taken from Warren Street, looking west. St. James's Church can be seen. St. James the Less Church on Uttoxeter Road, Longton. A Commissioners' Church built in 1832-34 to designs by T. Johnson ...

Hilltop Methodist Church, Westport Road, Burslem

This plan is of Hilltop Methodist Church in Burslem. As you can see from the diagrams it is a rather grand building and inside has seating for a large congregation. A plaque on the front of the building ...

Holy Trinity Church, Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent

The south side and east end of Holy Trinity Church in Hartshill as seen from Vicarage Road. This church dates from 1842, designed by Gilbert Scott and financed by the potter Herbert Minton. Attached was ...

Longton Station and the Phoenix Works, Longton

Longton Station in the foreground with the old Phoenix Pottery building behind and the tower of St John The Baptist Church (demolished in 1979) beyond that. The station, opened in 1848, is on an embankment. ...

Longton, looking north towards St. John's Church

St. John the Baptist Church was built in 1792-95, replacing an earlier building of 1761. The transepts and chancel were built in 1827-28. The church was demolished in 1979 due to mining subsidence.

Panorama from Bedford Street, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph was taken from just north of the flight of locks at Bedford Street in Shelton. The camera is looking northwards along the Caldon Canal with the winding towers of Wolstanton Colliery on ...

Pipe laying near Normacot Church

The school and church can be seen. The pipes being laid are possibly sewer pipes. The Holy Evangelists Church was built on the south side of Upper Belgrave Road as a chapel of ease for Blurton Church ...

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Mow Cop

The Primitive Methodists held their first open-air prayer meeting at Mow Cop in 1807. The chapel shown in this photograph was one of many around this area. Remembering Methodism at Mow Cop A ...

School Lane, Longton

Looking north-east along School Lane (later Webberley Lane) to St. James's Church. Longton Church of England School, built in 1836, is on the left.

School Lane, Longton

Looking north-east along School Lane (later Webberley Lane) to St. James's Church. Longton Church of England School, built in 1836, is on the left.

Shelton Cemetery Chapel, Cemetery Road, Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent

This plan is of Shelton Cemetery Chapel on Cemetery Road. The building was erected in 1860 and is actually comprised of two chapels: one for Church of England followers and the other for non-conformist ...

Sneyd Cricket, Football and Sports Club ground, Burslem

The photograph was taken from the open land at the rear of Adkins Street and shows the football pitch to the left and the cricket ground to the right. the camera is looking south west. The church tower ...

St James Church, Longton

Taken from graveyard looking north. St. James the Less Church on Uttoxeter Road, Longton. A Commissioners' Church built in 1832-34 to designs by T. Johnson at a cost of £10,000.

St James' Church, Longton

St James The Less Church in Longton photographed from the churchyard entrance on Normacot Road. Funded by the Church Building Act of 1818, this church was built in 1833-34, costing around £10,000, to ...

St James's Church, Longton

A view of the area of Longton around St. James's Church, looking south from Meir Hay.

St John's Church, Burslem

This engraving of St John's Church dates from around 1835. The view is from the churchyard.