Crown Staffordshire's Minerva Works, Fenton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1968 - 1969 (c.)

Description:The Minerva Works on Park Street in the Lane Delph area of Fenton had a wide range of famous occupiers. There was a potworks on this site from the 1750s. From 1806 to 1815 it was occupied by the Mason family, producers of the "Patent Ironstone China". From 1899 it was home to Crown Staffordshire Porcelain later Crown Staffordshire China. From 1973 it was part of the Wedgwood Group and from 1985 to 2000, Coalport replaced the Crown Staffordshire name.
In 1906 the works was partly rebuilt. In the photograph, the gable end dates from 1906 and the building nearest the camera, from the 1950 extension. The works were demolished in late 2001 and the land used for housing.

Parked outside is a 1960s Heinkel Trojan "bubble car". The three wheeled car had a door at the front, seated just two and was powered by a 200cc engine that gave a top speed just under 60mph.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/214-11 (204/38749)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.