Oldfield's fireclay pit and brickworks, Fenton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:April 1963

Description:Oldfield's fireclay pit and brickworks was off Duke Street in Fenton. Originally the brickworks and associated colliery was operated by Balfour & Coin from the 1880s. The colliery closed in the 1890s and the site became a brickworks only. The works operated continually until Oldfield's became part of Duddell's Ltd in 1959. The works specialised in refractory and engineering bricks.
In the photograph the spoil tip is to the right. The chimneys are linked to the long brick firing kilns.
In the fireclay pit, the band of rock near the bottom is the outcrop of the Bassey Mine Ironstone, part of the coal bearing strata in North Staffordshire. At the time of the photograph the pit was being filled in. Today the site is an industrial estate.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/207-16 (204/39192)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.