Alhambra Cinema, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:April 1963

Description:Built in 1914 by T C Wild, a Longton pottery owner and future Lord Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent, the Alhambra picture house stood on Upper Normacot Road at the corner of Herbert Road (off to the right). Spring Road is off to the left. Fitted with a wide CinemaScope screen in 1954, the cinema also had a large stage and dressing rooms. In the auditorium there were seats in the stalls and circle.

Showing when this photograph was taken was "Lost Treasure of the Amazon", a film made in 1954 starring Rhonda Fleming. Also advertised is "Santa Fe Passage", a 1955 Western starring John Payne (yes, not Wayne) and Rod Cameron.

The cinema closed in 1977 and stood derelict until it was demolished in 1994. The Alhambra Interchange roundabout on the A50 now occupies the site.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/241-07 (204/38366)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.