Alhambra Picture House, Normacot

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1914 - 1915 (c.)

Description:The Alhambra picture house stood on Upper Normacot Road. It was built in 1914 by T. C. Wild, a Longton pottery owner, later Lord Mayor of Stoke-on-Trent. The cinema closed in 1977, and stood derelict until it was demolished in 1994.

One of the films advertised on the walls of the building is 'The Escape of Jim Dolan', a western made in 1913, starring Tom Mix. This photograph must have been taken very soon after the cinema opened, and the commissionaire can be seen standing by the entrance.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:(171/21747)

Source: Lovatt Collection, Stoke on Trent City Archives

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.