Gallimore & Co, Garfield Works, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:February 1963

Description:The rear of Gallimore & Co's Garfield Pottery in Longton which lay between Uttoxeter Road (originally named High Street) and Barker Street. This photograph is taken from Barker Street. Before Gallimore's occupied the works in 1947, it was operated by Roper & Meredith from 1919 to 1924, making a range of earthenwares. On the right is a stack oven where the chimney stack is built straight on top of the oven with the stack rising through the roof of the factory. This oven dates from 1927.
The works has been largely rebuilt since 1975, with parts of the old works, but not the ovens and chimneys, still identifiable on Barker Street and Barlow Street. The site is now mixed commerce and industry.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/242-10 (204/38365)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.