Simpson's Pottery. Grange Street, Cobridge.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:November 1963

Description:The extensive Elder Works, originally named the Cobridge Pottery until 1900, was between Grange Street and Hawthorne Street in Cobridge. Originally owned by the Alcock family of potters from about 1835, the works was operated by the Soho Pottery Company from 1918 to 1944 before the company name was changed to Simpsons (Potters) Ltd. Simpson's were important manufacturers and exporters of mid-range earthenware who had links with the American Pfaltzgraff Company. Product names included Solian Ware, Ambassador Ware, Chanticleer Ware, and Strasbourg Ware. The works continued to operate until closed in 2004 and later demolished. The photograph was taken from Grange Street and shows the rear of the works with its chimneys and bottle ovens.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/125-24 (204/35742)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.