Victoria Mill, Stanley Moss Lane, Stanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:August 1965

Description:The Victoria Mill in Stanley was part of Harrison & Son, reputedly the largest ceramic glaze and colour manufacturers in the world in the 1890s. The glaze ingredients were initially ground into fritt or glass at the company's Phoenix Works in Hanley and transferred to Victoria Mill to be ground "finer than the finest white flour".

Harrison & Son developed the site from the 1860s with major expansion in the 1920s and 30s. A wharf on the nearby Caldon Canal was connected to the works by a branch from the Stoke to Leek railway line in 1905. Two steam engines powered the mill, later replaced by electricity. The blue brick mill chimney was demolished in the 1980s.
The white building to the right is Victoria House which is still standing although the rest of the site has been cleared and used for housing.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/044-22 (204/33330)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.