St Dominic's School, Hartshill

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:The building in the middle of the photograph was originally "Cliffeville" a house built by a local solicitor, John Tomlinson, in 1810. In the 1920s it was bought by the nuns of the neighbouring Dominican Convent and became St Dominic's High School. In the interim the house was owned by Alderman Green, a Mayor of Stoke. Later school buildings can be seen around the edge of the photograph.

The Georgian school building occupied extensive land overlooking the Fowlea valley from the heights of Hartshill. St Dominic's School was closed in 1985 and the house demolished in 1988.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/139-19 (204/39841)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.