Heron Cross Pottery and Hertford Street, Fenton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1964

Description:The Heron Cross Pottery is at then bottom of Hertford Street, off Duke Street in Heron Cross. Chilton Street runs across at the bottom. The photograph was taken from halfway down Hertford Street. Heron Cross Pottery was originally operated by the Hines Brothers and built in 1886. It later became part of Grimwades Ltd. During the Second World war, the pottery was requisitioned and used to store food and munitions.
The enclosed oven chimney is more prominent today after the third floor was demolished and the roof lowered following a fire. The building is grade II listed.
The houses in Hertford Street (known as Charles Street until the 1950s renaming) were built between 1880 and 1900.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/211-20 (204/39510)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.