St James' Church, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1964

Description:St James The Less Church in Longton photographed from the churchyard entrance on Normacot Road. Funded by the Church Building Act of 1818, this church was built in 1833-34, costing around £10,000, to serve the rapidly growing population of Longton and Lane End. The church is a grade II listed building and the graveyard has been cleared and laid out as gardens.

Beyond the tower are two bottle ovens at the Garfield and/or Blue Bell Potteries. On the right hand edge is the chimney at the New Chelsea Porcelain Company on Chelson Street.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/232-16 (204/38841)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.