Palissy Pottery, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:February 1962

Description:Palissy Pottery was on Chancery Lane in Longton, which runs across the middle of the photograph. The large building on the left hand edge is the back of the Empire Theatre which fronted onto Commerce Street. The Palissy works has a history going back to the 1850s, operating as Richard Grove, then Albert Jones (from 1905) and finally Palissy Pottery from 1946 until 1989. The Chancery Lane buildings date from 1862. The name Palissy came from a 16th Century Frenchman, Bernard Palissy, who made and decorated earthenware. Closed in 1989, the works were demolished in the same year and the land developed for retailing.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/229-19 (204/38839)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.