Florence Colliery, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1964

Description:Florence Colliery was named after the eldest daughter of the 3rd Duke of Sutherland, the mine owner. The colliery became the Florence Coal and Iron Company in 1896 and was expanded to three shafts in 1916. Modernisation took place after nationalisation in 1947 and the mine had underground connections with Hem Heath (two miles away to the west) and Parkhall Collieries. Florence merged with Hem Heath in 1974 to become part of the "Trentham Superpit". Closure came in April 1994.

The surface buildings have been demolished and the land developed as a housing estate.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/225-05 (204/38804)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.