Deep Pit Colliery from Town Road, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:October 1963

Description:Looking northwards along the old route of Town road towards the winding gear of Hanley Deep Pit Colliery. The building on the right edge is part of J H Weatherby's Falcon Works. Farther down on the right is Safin House, on the corner of Broom Street, occupied by S Finney & Sons, Wholesale Warehousemen. Coming in on the left is Abbey Street. Beyond that, with the pointed roof, is the National Spiritualist Chapel built in 1860, now a restaurant.

Hanley Deep Pit was part of the Shelton Iron, Steel & Coal Company and had a shaft going down over half a mile. Closed in 1962, the site was landscaped in the 1980s as part of the Central Forest Park Scheme.

On the left are a range of advertisement for a variety of local entertainments including films, choral concerts, circus and repertory theatre plays,

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/184-10 (204/38765)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.