Parkhall Colliery

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1962

Description:The surface buildings and spoil tips of Parkhall Colliery. The trackway to the top of the tip is very clear. Opened in 1862, the colliery worked three main seams: Bowling Alley, Holly Lane and Hard Mine. The mine produced a mixture of household coal, steam coal, used particularly in boilers and on the railways, and manufacturing coal for firing pottery kilns.

Linked underground to Florence colliery, it was closed in 1962, around the time of this photograph. At this time it employed over 500 men working underground and produced just over 125,000 tons per year. This was about half of what was produced in 1948. The site today is part of Cinderhill Industrial estate and the tip has been flattened and the land used for housing

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/235-14 (204/38659)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.