Albion Square from Lichfield Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1963

Description:This photograph was taken from the northern end of Lichfield Street looking across Albion Square towards Stafford Street (left) and Tontine Street (right). Albion Street is going the left edge. Pedestrianisation has changed the volume of traffic but the surrounding buildings have remained much the same although with different uses. Albion Square roundabout was a major traffic junction.

The Midlands Electricity showroom building in the centre was there before 1900. The facade is largely unchanged. The Waggon and Horses public house on the corner of Tontine Street and Old Hall Street (off the right edge) has been renamed on several occasions. Further down Tontine Street is the former Hanley Post Office building, opened in 1906, closed in 2007 but a grade II listed building. Just off the right hand edge the C&A store was under construction on Stafford Street.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/176-13 (204/38603)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.