Lewis' Department Store, Fountain Square and Miles Bank, Hanley.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:The camera is looking from the corner of Trinity Street across Stafford Street. Straight ahead is Fountain Square. This view is obscured today by the arcade of shops on Moxon's Island.

On the left is the original Lewis's store and just visible in Fountain Square, Pidduck's Jewellery shop. The shop was at the bottom of Market Square where it joined Fountain Square. The tall building in the centre was a branch of the Halifax Building Society. The short section of street in the foreground was known as Miles Bank. On the corner is Johnson's Cleaners and next door is a Chemist's, once Edmund Jones. The alleyway leads to Brockley Square.

This Lewis's store was on the site of McIlroy's, Hanley's first department store and was opened in 1934. It was closed when a new store was built on Lamb Street in 1964.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/178-10 (204/38503)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.