J & G Meakin's Eagle Pottery, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1963

Description:The Ivy House entrance to J & G Meakin's Eagle Pottery in Hanley. The pottery opened in 1859 and closed finally in 2004, after absorption into the Wedgwood and latterly producing Johnson Brothers wares. The works were demolished in 2005 and the site became part of the Waterside Development of housing. Built alongside the Caldon Canal, the works was producing over 1 million pieces of dinner and tea ware in the 1950s. Most of Meakin's output was for export to the USA and the Commonwealth. The works was using gas fired kilns by the 1960s, so no bottle ovens on the skyline.

Notice the lady with the gloves and the gondola wicker shopping basket. Seems a little out of place.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/178-04 (204/38502)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.