Fountain Square and Stafford Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:Looking across the old Fountain Square roundabout towards Stafford Street. Piccadilly goes off to the left, with Batchelors (coats and costumes) shop on the corner. Next door is Stead & Simpson's shoe shop which leads round to the corner with Trinity Street. Further along, the dome in the centre of the photograph is on top of what was W Teeton's (wholesale and retail drapery, haberdashery and shoes) store. In 1963 the ground floor was occupied by a Dolcis shoe shop.

On the right hand side is the original, 1934, Lewis's Department Store. This was replaced in 1964 by a new store on the other side of Lamb Street, later part of the Potteries Shopping Centre. W & E Turner and Marsden's were shoe retailers and tailors and outfitters. These shops have been replaced with a more modern arcade.

The roundabout, with signs to Stoke and Smallthorne, has been replaced by an arcade of shops.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/172-18 (204/38494)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.