Capitol Cinema, Goodson Street, Hanley.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:Originally the Royal Alexandra Music Hall, then the Kings Palace Theatre, later Moore and Kennedy's Picture Hall, the Capitol Cinema stood in Goodson Street (formerly New Street) in Hanley. Built in 1892 it closed as a cinema, part of the ABC group, in 1963. At one time it had its own orchestra and could seat 1300 customers. When this photograph was taken, it had become a Bingo Hall and is now the site of a multi-storey car park.

The building this side is The Woodman public house, a sign above the windows reads "Whiskey Bonders, Licensed to Sell Spirits, Stout, Beers, General Provisions".

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/173-07 (204/38471)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.