Florence Colliery, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1st of May 1963

Description:Florence Colliery was named after the eldest daughter of the 3rd Duke of Sutherland, the original mine owner. the first shaft was sunk in 1874, there were three shafts by 1916 and eventually the colliery was linked underground with neighbouring Hem Heath and Parkhall Collieries. After nationalisation in 1947, the colliery was modernised and Florence merged with Hem Heath in 1974 to become part of the "Trentham Superpit" and was finally closed in 1994. The deepest shaft went down over 2800 feet (nearly 900 metres). Most of the coal mined was destined for power stations.

Florence lay between Cocknage Road and Lightwood Road.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/225-01 (204/38460)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.